Secretary of the Interior

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

Re: Secretary of the Interior

Post by Faulkner »

The dash will be painted black, John -- I have plastic prep and black plastic paint, too, for the vents and other plastic pieces. I sent my mounting strip to "Just Dashes" last week -- I'll be ordering a black dash pad to mount on it. I plan to sand out those runs -- I'll make good on a fifty year old quality defect! :lol:

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I finally got up the gumption to paint the dash. It didn't come out too bad for TWSAM. Some before and after pix...
IMG_0669.jpg
All dressed up and ready to go...
IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0672.jpg
After the painting
IMG_0673.jpg
IMG_0674.jpg
masking tape removed
IMG_0675.jpg
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

bravo!
when do you and Marie go to Ron's?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

We leave on 5/10 -- pretty soon now!

Sadly, our trip will be cut short -- Marie's dad has taken ill. Marie and I will see her daughter in Barcelona, but Marie will fly right home, and I'll spend two days with the Keij's. We had to scuttle our plans to see Portugal and visit Stefan. Perhaps in the Fall...

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I see. I was tipped off that your father-in-law had taken ill. My thoughts are with you and Marie.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Dan and Marie,

Sorry to hear of the family illness - we will keep you all in our prayers.

Dan,

The dash looks great - mine was painted in-car as well. I must say your dash looks lonely without the glove box, mirror, radio, clock, ash tray, wipers, light switch and steering wheel. You have some work to get done before Carlisle!

Curt

PS I think Matthew has his hands full right now, so don't try smuggling him back to the States to complete your project! :lol:
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Just got my dash pad back from "Just Dashes". Wow, it looks great! They did a fabulous job, too, of incorporating the metal strip into the pad... No time to mount it permanently, though, I've got to prepare for the American Invasion :P
IMG_0710.jpg
IMG_0711.jpg
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dan, the pad looks great. Does Just Dashes know where to put that strip or did you have to diagram it for them? I have my metal strip from the remnants of my dash pad. I cringe a bit about clueing it in that I had heard in other forum discussions.

Yours went in without glue, correct?

Also, how long did Just Dashes take to make yours?

John Q.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

John, they didn't ask for a diagram, and I didn't supply one -- but it seems to be perfectly centered in the pad. It does appear to be glued in with contact cement -- but, perfectly. I suspect they've done this before :o

They told me it could be six weeks, but it was shy of three. I was amazed at how quickly they turned it around.

Dan
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dan, thanks! I better get mine in then to them so they can start work on it. Since I am changing the car from Black to Turquoise and the interior color was Gray and now will also be Turquiose. What do you and others think the dash pad color to be?

I won't be able to put the swing out swivel seats in for a while or the correct door panels due to the economy....I will be putting in two white 1967 New Yorker power buckets for the time being.

What goes with a turquoise dash frame color wise? I like Tom Fox's convert with the dash frame of Light green and a pad of similar color but off a shade.

looking for suggestions from the group... :)

thanks!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dick wrote:I don't know but I assume the metal strip is for mouinting the pad on the dash. Just Dashes said without the strip you just glue it on.
That's correct -- there's a set of clips that pop into the dash (I think the ends have bolts with nuts), and the strip then slides into the clip. I think Just Dashes glued theirs on too, but it was done masterfully...

Dan
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dang, Dick, I pressed edit instead of reply. I ended up deleting most of your post! Sorry, can you add your comments again? Sorry for inadvertently abusing my power...

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

OK Dan, I'll let you go this time, but from now on "WATCH IT". Just kidding, The previous owner of my Red SF had a dash pad made locally and glued it on the dash, didn't look to bad. I'm painting the dash red and Just Dashes painted thier stock black pad red for me. As I didn't have the metal strip, (I didn't know there was one} they advised me to just glue it on the dash. My green SF has a factory green dash with the matching factory green pad. John Q. if you send them a sample of the color you want they probably can match it.

Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

I ordered a dash from Just dashes, All I sent them was a small piece of the dried vinyl so they could color match. What is the metal strip you are talking about? They are currently working on mine, do I need to send them a metal strip from my old one? I assume that I would have to glue the pad on to the dash once I took the old one off. I was going to wait till I got the new pad before I scraped off the old one, was that a mistake?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

There's a metal strip that hangs onto dash clips on the top side, built into the original dash pad. If you get it to JD before they make yours, they will embed it right into your new one. Otherwise, you'll have to glue it, which is less than perfect.

Dan