Secretary of the Interior

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

Secretary of the Interior

Post by Faulkner »

That's what I need -- a secretary! Although, I'm bagging and labeling parts, so maybe I won't screw up too badly.

I'm starting to do some work on Faulkner's interior. I want to paint the brown dash black -- I'm hoping to do it in place, but welcome all suggestions. The deeper into this I get, the more I wonder how much trouble it would be to just pull the d*mn thing out...

Anyway, there was an ugly brown Naugahyde dash pad(yes! Brown; those who have seen it may have thought it was black). To remove it, I popped the clips out for the chrome strip at the bottom lip. I popped 5 clips, 3 of which immediately fell out -- two remained on the strip. But each remaining is mounted differently! What is the correct way? (The top of the strip is shown at the bottom in the picture):

IMG_0537.jpg

Also -- since I'm missing a clip -- does anyone have an extra?

I plan to get a replacement pad from Just Dashes. Fortunately, the top mounting strip and retainers are all in good shape.

Here's a pic of the interior now, partially disassembled:

IMG_0539.jpg
IMG_0538.jpg
Lots of pieces parts!

To get to the clips retaining the lower chrome lip of the dash pad, I removed my glove box. That kind of disintegrated in the process; guess it's time to contact Gary Goers. In an attempt to drop it between the dash and the firewall, I removed one of the vacuum chambers for the heater -- in the process of removing the vacuum tube from the unit, I managed to pull the nipple right out of the unit! It pops back in, I guess I'll epoxy it; but I might be in the market for one of these too.

IMG_0540.jpg

Matthew, you better get over here soon and get me out of trouble! :?

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Re: Secretary of the Interior

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:To get to the clips retaining the lower chrome lip of the dash pad, I removed my glove box. That kind of disintegrated in the process; guess it's time to contact Gary Goers.
Oops! The catalog is no longer on line. At least, not that I can find... It used to be downloadable as a pdf. Does anyone have a copy, or can point me to it? I'd like to post it in the vendor's section.

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:To get to the clips retaining the lower chrome lip of the dash pad, I removed my glove box. That kind of disintegrated in the process; guess it's time to contact Gary Goers. In an attempt to drop it between the dash and the firewall, I removed one of the vacuum chambers for the heater -- in the process of removing the vacuum tube from the unit, I managed to pull the nipple right out of the unit! It pops back in, I guess I'll epoxy it; but I might be in the market for one of these too.
Well, after scrounging around in the basement, looks like I got a box of 'em! I'm forgetting what I gots, and what I ain't gots...

Dan
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Hi Dan,

I just emailed you Gary's catalog, maybe not the most recent version but he never changes much in new editions. Let me know when you start ordering because I'd like to order some small items too. I'll start making a list this week and it should be ready by Friday.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Faulkner wrote: Matthew, you better get over here soon and get me out of trouble! :?

Dan
Sorry dan, my whole car is looking like your dash and it will take a while before he will be ready with that! And he wants to bring his Fury home when my car is in the body shop 8)

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:I popped 5 clips, 3 of which immediately fell out -- two remained on the strip. But each remaining is mounted differently! What is the correct way? (The top of the strip is shown at the bottom in the picture)...
No one have any ideas about this?

And does anyone have an extra clip?

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Been having increasing problems with the computer here...ex-wife hasnt
replied to request for assistnce.
Dan, I tried spraypainting (with rattle can) a dash board whie IN Place...it didnt comeout so good. the windshield seemed to block proper access..
Removing a dashboard is a pain...there are two big bolts on either side which hold it in, you have to disconnect all vacuum tubes etc...you wil be okay with epoxying the broken nipple...
I will try to look for the clips you desire...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

also the steering shaft needs to be lowered, if I recall
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Dan,

I am no expert here - but if you remember my dash - it was painted in the car - sans trim pieces that were painted outside the car.

The trick for my painter was using an air brush great for the tough areas near the windshield etc.

Of course mine is also two tone - white below the stainless trim and green above the trim. Know anybody that does airbrush work?

Of course it goes without saying that there is quite a bit to tape up to protect the interior - but there is not so much overspray since you can adjust the HVLP, HPLV settings to avoid overspray as found in rattle cans.

Perhaps Chip Foose has some spare time and can lend you a hand!

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dan, You are better off just taking the metal dash frame off at this point and doing it right. You need to take off the garnish moulding around the bottom of the windshield and the A pillar the side windlace mouldings ont he A pillar too, When I dropped mine I had to on my convert. And continue disconnecting the Heater controls fromn the Frame and off course the disconnect the instrument harness connections.
Lowering the steering column is needed as you deduce. You will be glad you did when it comes time to paint without any obstructions. Plus you can do a review of the wiring harness to alleviate any problems later with that sub-assembly.
This is a lot of work but well worth the results! :)
John Q.
Denver 59 Fin Convert
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Well, I realize the best way to do this job is to pull the dash out entirely. But I ain't gonna; I think I can do a reasonably good job in place, so I'm going to give it a try.

I did drop the steering column, to be able to get to the screws holding the little plastic cover in place. More about that in a minute.

I've got all the parts and trim off, except for the piece that the cigarette lighter goes through. That part has a lip that's retaining it, and I don't see how to remove it from the back. Does anyone have any advice about how to do that?

And Stefan -- once I had the glove compartment door off, I could see where it had been "leaned on" while open, which lead to the misalignment when it was closed. A little vise action, and it looks to be uniformly spaced now -- I'll see once I put it back on.

However, I'm going to be looking for a plastic cover for the steering column; mine is pretty well rotted from exposure to the Boise sun. Does anyone have one in better shape than this they'd consider selling? I suppose I could repair it with Bondo, but the results would be less than satisfactory...

Dan
IMG_0584.jpg
Hmm... I seem to recall Stefan had an extra one...
IMG_0583.jpg
tomf

Post by tomf »

Dan, the cigarette lighter socket can be removed. Behind the dash find a barrel surrounding the ligher socket and unscrew it and the socket will come through the dash. These are usually just hand tight. If you have to use pliers be careful not to squish it. The threads are at the back of the barrel away from the dash.
Tom
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

roger wrote:I'm not sure I understand your question, but the ashtray is removable...pull out the ash receiver, then push down on the protruding part then pull out. The ash reciever comes out. Now that it is out, you will see a Phillips head screw inside .
I would generate a picture, but can't right now.
Yup, I've got the ashtray out, Roger. It's the cigarette lighter that's the problem.
tom wrote:Dan, the cigarette lighter socket can be removed. Behind the dash find a barrel surrounding the ligher socket and unscrew it and the socket will come through the dash. These are usually just hand tight. If you have to use pliers be careful not to squish it. The threads are at the back of the barrel away from the dash.
Tom
OK -- although, my fat fingers have trouble reaching up there. Perhaps if I remove the ashtray housing...

Anybody have a lead on a plastic cover for the steering column?

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Yeah, what Tom said...I tried to fit my reply in during Rhianna's breaks with her computer gaming today...obviusly I coould not concentrate well enough..
Those steering shaft fillers wetr hard for me to find..they definitely suffer from sun and heat. Hope you find one..
moparwagon

Post by moparwagon »

Yup, Tomf has your answer to get the cig lighter out. Might help to spray some WD40 to the back side under the dash as they can get rusty or just plain tough to get starting to UN screw. Good idea to lube it up when you put it back in too. Ron
1959 2 Dr Suburban under construction