powerflight or torqueflite conversion

Got a question? This is the place to ask
batmobile

powerflight or torqueflite conversion

Post by batmobile »

i have decided that i want an automatic in batmobile. preferably a 3 speed.
my delima is to have an original tranny shipped to me is a good chunk of change. :? is it at all possible to graft original controls on a later model tranny like a 727 or something of the like? anybody have pictures of the original tranny, of the linkange, how it hooks up and all? i have never seen an original auto, so i'm kinda working in the dark.
btw, i don't need a tranny w/ the parking brake, have later model rear end. thanx in advance for any advice/help. --jeremy
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Pardon my ignorance here
If you still have the original engine in the car, I believe you have to use "period" accessories. After ~1962, the transmission coupling changed, thus requiring some sort of adapter. The main crankshaft only mates with trannies up to 1962, or something like that
You will get more useful replies if you post to ForwardLook.net, regarding modifications-
BHWINC

Post by BHWINC »

You can only use a trans from 57-61 due to the extended crankshaft your motor has.. They are all cast iron cases.. 1962 they became aluminum..
56 also had a cast iron pb trans but they do not interchange with any other year..
Stuck In The Past and,,,,,, Trying Like Hell To Stay There!

www.BHWINCVintageAutoParts.com
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

i am not restricted by crankshaft woes. i will be using a high bred of a late 70's 360 and a '70 340. i have to go with a later transmission. furthermore, i have a later model rear axle so i don't have to keep the original parking brake setup. i have a 727 that came w/ the '70 340 i'm sure it needs rebuilt at least, but is it feasable at all to mate the original powerflight, or torque flight controls to this type of setup? :? i would love to hear any and all of ya'lls input. thanx-- jeremy
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Jeremy,
I have a Torqueflite in my backyard. I will send you a pic this weekend.
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

thanx, that would great roger! --j :D