Poly 4 bbl

Got a question? This is the place to ask
opus65

Poly 4 bbl

Post by opus65 »

Hello,
A friend and I are in the process of upgrading his 59 Fury. We have the intake manifold casting number 1859229. I have been searching for a correct AFB. My research shows Carter list numbers 2641, 2744, 2812 (I think this is the most correct.), and 2813 as possibles. My main question is:
Can you shed any light on the carb bores? This manifold has a very small and narrow pattern similar to the old Rochester 4CG or 4 jet. Outside to outside across the barrels is only 3 inch. Most AFB's are in the neighbohood of 3 and 3/8. Do you know if the correct AFB's are smaller or did Chrysler use an adapter like a Transdapt 2064.
Thanks,
Faulkner

Re: Poly 4 bbl

Post by Faulkner »

Hello... Opus? I don't know the answer to your question, but I know exactly who to put the question to! Stay tuned...

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Re: Poly 4 bbl

Post by Faulkner »

Here's a reply from Forward Look Frank:
FLF wrote:The correct carburetor is in fact an early AFB. There were no adapters used. The early AFB appeared in '57 and Mopar starting using them in '58. They are drilled with a dual pattern. One pattern is square (early intakes), one is more rectangular (late). This was to accommodate the change from the later "h" pattern WCFB to the new AFB without modifying the intake manifold casting. Primaries are approx 1-7/16" and secondaries were approx. 1-11/16. Flow rate was approx 500-600cfm. Some later AFBs only have the larger pattern. Mopar utilized the AFB until '67. In 68 they were superceded by the AVS.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"