VALVE TAPPET ADJUSTMENT 318 POLY.

And, how not to! Show a fellow member how you did it, here
Dick Koch

VALVE TAPPET ADJUSTMENT 318 POLY.

Post by Dick Koch »

Found a easy and simple way to adjust valve tappets. I call it the 90 degree method. First measure the diameter of the crankshaft pulley, divide that number by 4, starting at the timing mark on the pulley make a mark on the pulley every 90 degrees accordingly. Align the timing mark on the pulley at "0" with the distributor rotor pointing at the #1 cylinder. Adjust the tappets COLD, the intake is .010, the exhaust is .020. The #1 cylinder is at TDC and you adjust both tappets. You are going to adjust each cylinder in firing order. Next turn the flywheel pulley clockwise 90 degrees and adjust both tappets on cylinder #6. Turn the pulley another 90 degrees and adjust the next cylinder in the firing order. Quite a few of my adjusting screws were quite loose resulting in them moving. , l was.fortunate in sourcing new adjusting screws on ebay. I replaced the old screw with new ones coated with red threadlocker to help in preventing them from moving in the future. Some owners/mechanics strike the threads on the adjusting screws with a hammer to get a tight fit. Started the engine and took a 5 mile drive. The engine ran smoothly and very quiet. Oil pressure was 60 at idle, 80 at speed.
Happy adjusting,
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Re: VALVE TAPPET ADJUSTMENT 318 POLY.

Post by Faulkner »

Hey, that's a neat trick, Dick. I'll have to tuck that one away.
Dick Koch wrote:Adjust the tappets COLD
Now, is that Florida cold, or Pennsylvania cold? :lol:
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Re: VALVE TAPPET ADJUSTMENT 318 POLY.

Post by Dick Koch »

Florida cold? You gotta be kidding, theres no such thing as Florida cold.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.