Master brake cylinder for disk brakes

And, how not to! Show a fellow member how you did it, here
Faulkner

Master brake cylinder for disk brakes

Post by Faulkner »

This email came to me by way of the Plymouth Owner's Club. I've copied John Q. on my reply - John's less than two hours south of Kevin - but I'm also posting here for advice.
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2016 10:09 AM
To: Dan Morton
Subject: Brake Master

Hello Dan
I am renovating a 1959 Plymouth Suburban 318, Torqueflite.
I am fitting disc brakes front and rear.
Do you have any knowledge as to which brake master cylinder with booster to use?
I am located in Longmont Colorado.
Many thanks,
Kevin Stacey
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Master brake cylinder for disk brakes

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Hi Kevin, I live about 45 mins south of you in Arvada, Colo, I will dig up the link to what I did for my Belvedere Convertible for the front Disc brake Conversion. I did not convert the rear brakes so I don't know what would work there.

As far as the Master Cylinder, I replaced the single chamber MC to a dual cylinder version using a 66 A body (Dart) Master Cylinder. I used F body (Volare/Aspen) spindles and the disc rotors from a 80 cordoba/Magnum (J Body) to keep it all Mopar . I just had to trim down the new tire rod ends a bit to make it all work. I used the booster that was already on my car. If yours was not already a power brake car you can get one of the original 59 Booster from Big M (John Fowlie) on this Forum. Other Mopar PB Booster may work but I just kept the one that I had.

I did buy a Mopar performance manual adjustable proportioning device but it worked well right out of the box so I have never had a need to adjust it at all in regards to front to rear percentages in braking power.

I will go thru some of my old posts to get you the link when I did this.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Faulkner

Re: Master brake cylinder for disk brakes

Post by Faulkner »

...and go here for a somewhat dated, but also excellent discussion about how to install disk brakes, by Stefan Steinmaier. Again, it's for the front only, but there's still proportioning...
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"