removing and cleaning gas tank on a Suburban

And, how not to! Show a fellow member how you did it, here
Dickjwa

removing and cleaning gas tank on a Suburban

Post by Dickjwa »

I want to remove the gas tank on my Suburban and clean it. Is there anything I should know about getting it out and what is the best cleaning method ?
The local shops that I knew about that cleaned gas tanks are no longer doing them or are out of business.
I have looked into the tank with a flashlight and it doesn't look very bad.

Dick
Faulkner

Re: removing and cleaning gas tank on a Suburban

Post by Faulkner »

Dick,

When I had my '55 Plymouth, I dropped the tank and removed all kinds of junk! I bought a kit from Eastwood's (Google them), which galvanized any rust and then coated it. I was a younger man then! But if you're up for the challenge, check out the kit.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dick - I have a friend that had a very bad experience lining his own tank. He probably didn't follow the procedures very well! It must work because there are a lot of people that sell the kits. I have had two gas tanks done by my radiator shop. They clean and boil it out then they pressure test it for any pin holes and solder or braise any potential leaks and then they coat the interior. After five years Charleen has had no problems. All for $75.00, a kit costs $50 to %60 buck. Oh, Charleen is Christine's younger sister.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: They clean and boil it out then they pressure test it for any pin holes and solder or braise any potential leaks and then they coat the interior.
OMG! Yeah, what he said! If a shop will do that for 75 bucks, it's worth it.

Dan
big m

Post by big m »

99% of all station wagon tanks will have a rust hole on the bottom, as the fill neck on top of the rear fender invites moisture.

Remove the access panel in the left rear wheelwell, then remove the retaining bracket and strap. Disconnect the fuel line and sender wire, then drop the tank out. Sometimes it will be very stubborn, as dirt and debris will pack alongside the tank, and the O-ring at the filler neck may not want to let go easily. If that is the case, remove the screws that hold the filler neck in, and pry and wiggle it at the same time to remove it from the car and fuel tank.

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: I have had two gas tanks done by my radiator shop. They clean and boil it out then they pressure test it for any pin holes and solder or braise any potential leaks and then they coat the interior.
Dick, I mentioned before that the Sterling sisters "drove by the braille method". My gas tank is solid, but things they have driven over have, um, left an impression. Can they bang these out to some degree? Not that it has to be perfect... But, I'm wondering if I can get decent results from a radiator shop, or if I should just bag it and buy a repro.

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - I would ask the radiator shop what they would do other than cutting it open to repair and then welding it back up. What I would do is try to bang it straight thru the fill and sender holes using a round broom or shovel handle. If you can get it half way decent that way call it a day and use it like that. It has served you well in its present state so far. The only people that will know is you and me and whoever reads this thread. If you decide to replace it DO NOT throw it away.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.