Fury horn ring

Hey, I've got this part. Interested in buying it?
Ken Jacob

Fury horn ring

Post by Ken Jacob »

I have a '59 Sport Fury horn ring with nice padded center to trade for a '58 Plymouth left front bumper extension.

Ken
schlaaj

Re: Fury horn ring

Post by schlaaj »

Ken, I see your post was in 2008 - but I will inquire anyway if you still have the 59 Sport Fury horn ring and asking price ?

thanks

Art S.
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

Ken, I wish I did have the bumper exstenion (or bumper wings as I call them), but I do not have. I found a pair two years ago and sent them off to be rechromed. The chroming company had to do some welding as there was some rust thru, but did a great job and they are now on my car. Really
makes the front end look different. Regarding the horn ring for a Sport Fury, I found a steering wheel in a junk yard that needs the clear portion
recast. I have an excellent center pad with chrome insert and all and only looking for a horn ring. I was thinking of re-doing the complete steering wheel and then re-selling on the web site. The only piece that would be missing with what I already have is the horn ring and if I can pick one up at a reasonable price I would. Condition and need of re-chrome would be important considerations. Let me know if you would sell the ring and price. The steering wheel by the way, on my Sport Fury is in great condition so I am not looking to replace. Thanks, Art
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Art, can you clarify - are you needing a horn ring for your car, or are you looking for one to complete a steering wheel for resale?

I was going through my stash this afternoon. When I got Faulkner, the horn ring was broken, and I picked up a replacement. I still have the broken ring, and that's all that I thought I had - but I discovered another completely intact horn ring! It's pitted, though, and would need to be rechromed. I'll post pix tomorrow. But I'm only interested in parting with it, if someone needs it for their own car.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

Ken, I want to put together a complete steering wheel after I have the wheel recasted. I plan to switch it with the one on my car which is in good shape except the clear material is slightly yellow because it has been on the car for 20 years. Still looks great. I will sell the old wheel in an effort to recoup some of my cost in redoing a complete wheel. If I cannot locate a buyer, for the existing wheel if someone is in need, I may hang it on my wall as a decorative item but wouldn't do that if it is not complete. (The 59 SF wheel is one of the classier looking wheels - if all the parts are there ) Your horn ring is (as you stated) is pitted and I would have to repair (if feasable) before replating. After plating I would compare it to my existing ring and the better one would go with the new casting. (I have all the other pieces including the horn pad except the ring itself ) The guy doing the re-casting is backed up with work for 6-7 months so it will be next fall before I will have the wheel from the company doing the casting. I could sell the existing steering wheel (as is) without the horn ring but thought I would try to make up a complete assembly. I am 73 and if the time comes that I have to sell my car, a complete steering wheel would be a great reminder of what I once had.
WDJ40

Post by WDJ40 »

Following this thread with interest...I need the clear plastic redone on my Sport Fury wheel.

Who would you recommend to recast a Sport Fury wheel? I have looked into online companies but have no feedback from other 1959 Fury owners .

Any advice would help. Thanks.
'Get your motor runnin' Head out on the highway'
Looking for adventure' In whatever comes our way'

Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I know of only two folks who ever did steering wheels - Koch's in CA (they did mine), or D&D (did Ron's, and probably Art's). Here's a thread about it.

I've heard that Koch's no longer does them - perhaps they sold their mold to someone else? You might want to check with them, here's their link.

Art doesn't provide contact info for the person who purchased D&D's business, so you might want to check with them to find out more.

DnD.png
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

D & D Automobilia has been sold but still goes by the name D & D Automobilia. The former owner was Don Eash of Mount Airy, N.C. and the new owner is Bob Denault of Lincolnton, N.C.. Contact address and phone number are as follows: D & D Automobilia, 2284 Reepsville Road, Lincolnton, N.C. . Phone number 704-748-3447. Cost to redo wheel is $1800.00, and requires a $400. advance deposit to be put on the list of his jobs to do. The cost to re-plate the two small chrome inserts that are in the hand grips is extra - if re-plating is needed. So as you can see it is not cheap. I was going to fill in with epoxy a couple of cracks in the hand grips to the extra wheel I have, and re-paint them with a clear expoxy before sending the wheel out to have clear material casted. It doesn't work that way. D & D, in re-casting the wheel, does both the hand grips (in whatever color you choose) and then cast the clear material on the rest of the wheel. I believe he also has the wheel frame re-chromed before doing all this. Reason is so the wheel frame looks good through the new clear material. So there is more to do in recasting a steering wheel than people realize. The sample photo's he sent me, of jobs done in the past look great. One last thing, D & D also textures the finish on the grips. The grips on my present wheel on my car are smooth, so I can't say which way they were made originally, but the texturing he does on grips looks great. I plan on doing a "before" and "after" pictures to this process after the wheel is done. Hope this answer's a lot of questions.

Regard, Art Schlachter, Danville, Ky
WDJ40

Post by WDJ40 »

Many thanks for your great advice.

I looked into Koch's last year and came up with dead ends. There was a 1959 Sport Fury car for sale last year that had a recently restored steering wheel. The seller did not disclose where he had the work done, but I knew that this service was still available because the wheel was correct and looked factory new. As always with these cars, I only trust feedback from experienced car owners who know the few remaining suppliers and restorers. As we get older it is getting harder to track down the sources. Again thanks for the info and have a happy and healthy new year.

Larry E.
'Get your motor runnin' Head out on the highway'
Looking for adventure' In whatever comes our way'

Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild Lyrics | MetroLyrics
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Gentlemen, depending on what trade / sale agreement you all come up with, in the end if there is a wheel available I would be interested in purchasing it for my SF. I have a decent horn ring / padded center I picked up off eBay but am in need of the wheel, contact, ect.., Any condition is fine with me as I will be getting it chromed/ re-casted/restored in green/clear. I am also Listening in for leads and reviews on who to have re-cast it. Thanks

William
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

William, send me your email address and state where you are located ? (I know it is not Kentucky as my 59 Sport Fury is the only one in this state.) I still have the wheel in my shop but have sent in the $400 deposit to get on his waiting list to recast the wheel. He has a 6-7 month lead on work so this project will be taking a while.

Art Schlachter
aschlachter@roadrunner.com
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Art,

my email is: reklaw_10@hotmail.com

I am in no hurry, I am Active duty in the U.S Marine Corps and am about half way through a tour of duty in Okinawa, Japan. I have about 16 months till my rotation date. I am using this time to stock up on all the parts and pieces I need for my restoration. My car and parts are all in storage back in San Diego at my Dad's house. When I purchased my 59 SF it came with an aftermarket tuff wheel installed and a spare 58 Plymouth wheel in the trunk. I fully agree the 59 Deluxe padded center wheel is one of the best looking steering wheels ever made. Let me know how yours turns out and if you wish to sell your old wheel.
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

I am enclosing photo's of my old steering wheel sitting next to the one I just had recasted. As you can see my old wheel is in pretty darn good shape. The old wheel has a slight discoloration in the clear area, the handle grips are smooth (verses textured) and the clear material when casted flowed around to the pistol grip and has a slight mushroom affect. The second photo shows both the new and old handle grips side by side. A third photo
shows the old wheel mounted on the steering column, and the fourth (last photo) shows the newly cast wheel mounted to the same steering column.

IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG
59 Ply Writeup -6  (Pistol GripSteering Wheel).JPG
IMG_0787.JPG

I am thinking of selling the original steering wheel as a complete assembly. It won't be cheep as the chrome horn ring and center pad are both in good condition as is the wheel itself. I would not be afraid of putting this wheel on a restored car - you can judge the condition for yourself.

Regards,
Art Schlachter
Danville,Ky
Powerflite

Post by Powerflite »

If this wheel is still available, I am interested in purchasing it. Thanks.
schlaaj

Re: Complete sport Fury Steering Wheel Assy

Post by schlaaj »

Yes I still have the wheel wrapped up in a box in my spare parts. I am thinking $1650 + shipping and that includes the wheel, the two chrome inserts in the pistol grips, the chrome horn ring, center pad assembly and "PLYMOUTH" chromed center bar that sets in the horn pad. Where are you located
and what is your zip code ? I can have it all weighed and get a shipping cost.

Best Regards
Art Schlachter