318 POLY OIL PUMP.

Looking for something? Post it here!
Dick Koch

318 POLY OIL PUMP.

Post by Dick Koch »

I need a new #1619949 oil.pump for a 318 Poly. I have tried 5 different parts houses and Rock Auto to no avail. Need suggestions. Melling #M51
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Vanish

Re: 318 POLY OIL PUMP.

Post by Vanish »

This may sound strange but i looked on amazon and there is one Melling #M51 left .... https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ump+%23M51
Will be adding my Signature soon as soon as i quit Procrastinating .... hey wait this is my Signature! .... Job Done !! :D
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks for the lead but $187.00, no wonder it's left. I think l found one at JEGS for $81.99 shipped free. They are checking to confirm it's a M-51. I always forget to check Amazon.
Thanks again,
Dick.
Vanish

Post by Vanish »

$$$ that was my first thought . I also never look on Amazon but after reading that you checked everywhere i decided to take a look sometimes you can find some strange auto parts . .... Happy Hunting
Will be adding my Signature soon as soon as i quit Procrastinating .... hey wait this is my Signature! .... Job Done !! :D
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Hope the jegs pump works for you. The A block Oil pumps are expensive!! They usually go for $150 to $190. If it's the correct one for that price you are a lucky man!

LA oil pumps are cheaper but they don't fit (I tried)
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Ha, just got a confirming email from JEGS. Overnight the price jumped to $189.99. You are right! Checked with rock auto and they are out of stock. Looks like l should get the one from Amazon.
Dick
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Just ordered the pump from Amazon. Got a $30.00 discount for getting a Amazon Visa credit card. Free shipping too.
Dick.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Make that discount $50.00.
Dick
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Got the pump out without pulling the engine. Was able to jack the engine up enough to get the pan off. Probably should have just pulled it. The male drive end of the brand new pump was worn to just a nub and the female slot on the brand new drive shaft was starting to wallow out. Because the engine was run with tbe light on l decided to remove a main bearing cap and a connecting rod cap and take a look, l decided to ask the .man that rebuilt the engine to look at the bearings and give me his opinion. Attached are pictures of the pump and drive shaft.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Picture files taken on my cell phone to large, these are from my tablet.
20170527_174601.jpg
20170527_174558.jpg
20170527_174541.jpg
20170527_174534.jpg
Vanish

Post by Vanish »

Wow thats bad i hope that your motor survived
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dick; What about the drive gear/shaft ? Did you find one? Now you got me thinking about mine,I put in A high volume pump but I remember the drive was A little worn. I think they are tough to locate. I didn't like the set up with the tang and slot. I think it would be better with A hex shape. Could be more torque on that area than one thinks if you run thicker oil or the oil is cold ( in my neck of the woods). I wonder how long they lasted back in the day. Mine had 113,000 on it before the rebuild and as I said the female slot did show some wear. Just some thoughts. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - Took the oil pump to the mechanic that rebuilt the engine, he is sure no metal got into the pump to lock it up and shear the male slot on the pump shaft. Because the male slot sheared only the upper half he thinks the distributor was not seated all the way down into the block causing the drive shaft to rise up on the cam gear. The female slot on the drive shaft should seat all the way down on the male slot of the pump "oh baby" l digress! Around a year ago a drive shaft showed up on ebay l will use it. I compared the shaft length of the original distributor with the later replacement and they are the same. Every thing the mechanic said makes sense so l wll try to make sure every thing is seated properly. If it happens again im thinking of putting the 383 thats in my 59 Desoto parts car in the convertible. If John Q. Can do a 413 l can do a 383. So there.
Dick.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dick; That makes sense. Alot of engine manufacturer's use that method, and it does look like it sheared it off.I would say he is right. I also think A good machinist could re-work that female drive. Sounds like you have A handle on it !!! Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - There are two types of drive shafts. On one the gear is pressed on, the other one the gear has a pin in it but l think it is pressed on also. I just bought the shaft only from Rock Auto, it has no hole it's for the pressed on gear. Check Summit Racing, they show all kinds of drive shafts but l didn't see ours.
Dick