My Kingdom for Interior Paint Chips (or shell green sample)

Looking for something? Post it here!
hawkeye999

My Kingdom for Interior Paint Chips (or shell green sample)

Post by hawkeye999 »

I'm beginning to think none of these exist anymore, and am hoping someone can prove me wrong. The exterior chips are plentiful but I haven't been able to find any for the interior after searching for a couple of months now. I have two colors to match up on a Belvedere project car: Festive Green (Poly and Semi-Gloss) and Shell Green. I can get by with the Festive Green parts I have, but I don't have any Shell Green. If someone has an interior item that is Shell Green (not badly faded) I would like to buy that as an alternative to a paint chip chart, but I would much prefer the chart since I'll be starting a SF project later this Spring and don't know yet what I'm going to need for that one.

Thanks,

Hawkeye999
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: My Kingdom for Interior Paint Chips (or shell green samp

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Check with John Fowlie (Big M on this Forum) he has several 59 Plymouths in his salvage yard, he may have a Garnish moulding that you can do a color match on at the paint store.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Listmember Dick Koch could add such a search to his Ebay searches...
hawkeye999

Post by hawkeye999 »

Both are good ideas John and Roger. The garnish molding is actually Festive Green, and basically the package tray (that I apparently am going to have to make myself) and radio speaker grille. Maybe Big M can come up with one of those in the right color, but even if so it will have no doubt faded considerably being located in a spot subjected to direct sunlight............
1959-Plymouth-pg02 interior colors HIGHLIGHTED (Medium).jpg
1959-Plymouth-pg03 interior colors (Medium) HIGHLIGHTED.jpg
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Pardon the following dumb questions:
Isn't there a good possibility the color chip samples (if you could find one) would also have faded?
Can't you take your information and request to an automotive paint supplier and ask them to look up the mix?
It's been several years since I ventured into an auto paint store in my efforts to come up with the correct color for the convertible body. I brought them a new swatch of red vinyl, and a decent, unfaded Flitesweep deck lid. I forget the details, other than their modern two-stage formulas have no relation to the original enamel formulas...
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Jim - This is the best I can do. Used GREEN speaker grill (dare you be so luckey it's the right green) with slight damage on one corner that you could repair easily and one bolt missing on bottom. That is, if you need the grill????????? $10.00 bucks plus $6.00 bucks shipping. Click on picture to enlarge.
Let me know,
Dick.
100_2628.JPG
100_2629.JPG
100_2630.JPG
100_2631.JPG
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Come to think about it, I have a stripped steering column that is this color, The UV sun rays would not effect the column that much and especially the underneath side that faces downward. I can loan that out to you for a color match attempt.

Dick's speaker cover would be pretty close too other then it was in the sunlight for a long time. All of these would be a good close match. If you are into series Concours Points, not even a show judge has a chip that he can compare to what you would paint on your garnish molding or dash frame.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
hawkeye999

Post by hawkeye999 »

Roger: I'm a firm believer in "the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked. :) I don't think the paint chip charts would fade nearly as bad sitting in a drawer somewhere as compared to parts that get a lot of UV sunlight. My friend and I pulled a dashboard recently and I couldn't believe how much darker the vinyl edge looked that was wrapped underneath.

As for taking my info to a paint supplier, I've tried online suppliers TCP Global and R&E Paint Supply, and both of them said there is no way to punch in those old interior codes (whether Ditzler, Dupont or otherwise) into a database and have it spit out a mix design. You are right in that I'm just going to have to submit a part for a close match, hopefully one that has been shielded from the sun to some degree.

Dick: SOLD. Do you have a PayPal account or should I mail you a check? I’ll PM you my address.

John Q. I will take you up on your gracious offer for the loaner. Same questions for you re: PayPal or check to reimburse shipping cost (will PM my address to you as well).

Thanks to all three of you for your help! I really do appreciate it.

Jim
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Jim - Check be best.

Richard Koch
4951 S. Kay St.
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
william0431

Re: My Kingdom for Interior Paint Chips (or shell green sample)

Post by william0431 »

I know this is an old post last touched several years ago. I am going through the same process of researching these paint colors since my Jade is going to need all the interior repainted eventually and I am not having a lot of luck finding the modern day equivalent by paint code. Suppose I will just have to have sample readings made of original paint if i can find a sample that is not to faded. Any one have an update on Hawkeye999's car?