A/C parts needed

Looking for something? Post it here!
Forward Look Frank

A/C parts needed

Post by Forward Look Frank »

Hello Again All,
I am in need of the A/C harness for a late '59 Plymouth. The difference between the early and late cars is that early cars had two speed blowers, late cars had three speed blowers. I need the following wires....
1.) Compressor Clutch to thermal switch
2.) Thermal Switch to push button control switch.
3.) Blower Motor to to T disconnect.
4.) T disconnect to blower switch
5.) Blower resistor to T disconnect
6. ) Blower resistor to push button control switch

I'm also in the market for the resistor itself. If you don't have one to sell but have one, I would be more than happpy to pay a deposit to allow me to copy it. In addition, I would have a new harness to send back to you as a token of my appreciation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
-Frank
Forward Look Frank Worsham
rogerh

Re: A/C parts needed

Post by rogerh »

You KNOW the resources we have here on 59SF. Nobody has these laying around.
I suggest you contact YnZ for this.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Roger right on the AC stuff, remote chance John Fowlie might have one from his parts cars. Don't know if Dodge's or Chryslers are the same or not....

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I had a very difficult time findingg a/c parts for my car. Wasn't it you who had a lead on a Texas a/c car? Ron Keij had found one being offered for parts, but then the guy changed his mind, or something to that effect.
Where is the resistor located (if I happen to have one on my car?)
Forward Look Frank

Hey Roger,
I know it's probably going to come down to making my own harness and fabricating what I need from my parts stashes. I just wish I could come up with a better solution/parts car. If you have the resistor, it will be mounted (sorry for lack of specification) somewhere under the dash on the metal frame as it needs to dissipate heat. If you have the three position blower switch, you should have one. If you have a two speed, it will not be there. I did have the lead on the Texas AC car years ago. I bought the car and basically had everything I wanted shipped to me. Unfortuantely, the A/C harness and wires were eaten by mice and had disintegrated. I managed to salvage a few wires but it's not enough to make the puzzle complete. I have the A/C service manual which illustrates the wiring diagram but doesn't show you the parts or locations. I did use the template you made me so many years ago and it worked like a champ! Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank
Forward Look Frank

P.S I asked John Fowlie if he had parts and he did not.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I bought an a/c related item off ebay a few yrs ago.
It is a service instuction sheet, 33 1/3 record and film strip. I have never played the record or viewed the film strip. I wonder if it shows actual locations of things-
Then I also have a Canadian 1959 Shop Manual, which has some photos, small B/W shots, showing the layout of SOME things. I still can't find the resistor you speak of.
Forward Look Frank

Hey Roger,
Does your temperature control switch on the dash read Hi-Med-Low on the top or Hi-Lo? You may have the early two speed set up. Let me know. I still need to get the lengths and location of the thermal switch and its wires (the white wire from the dash switch to the thermal switch and the blue wire from the thermal switch to the compressor), the length of the blower motor wire to its first disconnect, and figure out where the resistor is, (maybe its inline with the harness but I thought it should be mounted to dissipate heat). Sorry for the late reply. I've been taking online college courses. Fun going back to school after 13 years. I needed a break!
Take Care,
Frank
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Frnk, I will do my best to get you answers, but I think you'll have better luck speaking with Fins59 in Wisconsin. (He has a factory-equipped A/C car).
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Fins59 here - I had kind of a detailed post here and a minute ago this dang computer lost it and went back to main page, so will try again.
I have factory air in my '59 but it is non-working due to fact previous owner lost compressor, so I think I have everything except compressor.
When you say temp control switch I'm thinking you mean the push buttons. I have 5 buttons and the lever. Buttons read from top down "OFF" "MC" "FC" "DEF" and "H". The "lever" says WARM on it, and has arrow pointing up.
There is a nice shiny knob attached to dash just below radio that says FLOOR AIR on it. I don;t know what this button does, if it turns or pulls out. Maybe it opens and closes fins on A/C unit under dash.
I have to get one of my boys over here to show me how to take and post pictures.
Frank, any questions, fire away.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

One thing Frank wants to know is regarding the temperature control. THis is the arm with little ball on end which sticks out of the right side of teh pushbutton controls. Embossed into that little ball may be the words Lo-Med-Hi. The temperture is controlled by moving lever up or down. The speed of the blower fan is controlled by moving the lever out or in.
roger
Last edited by rogerh on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I have the 3-spd blower.
The thermostatic switch is mounted to the left side of the plenum opening..
Regarding wiring, I never got that completed. Maybe YnZ can give you more wire than needed, and a connector to terminate it when you (hopefully) figure it all out.
My camera got dropped and no longer takes close-up photos. Worse, my eyes have changed to the point where I am much like my camera...I have trouble focusing on close-up things.
I could try to determine wire length to blower, once I lock my daughter's damn cat up somewhere so he won't come climbing on me every freakin' second!
PICT0145.JPG
Thermostatic switch (aka Freeze control?) with copper capillary tube leading into evaporator box
Last edited by rogerh on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

PICT0147.JPG
White object on left is rear of pushbutton a/c controller, other device is ?resistor?circuit breaker?
Last edited by rogerh on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

PICT0141.JPG
Temp control lever...Fan speed is selected by pushing in/pulling out on lever, while raising/lowering lever controls temperature
Last edited by rogerh on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I think picture 2 shows a circuit breaker. I remember having it replaced, as the old one looked like it was no good.
Frank, Are you SURE the '59 a/c system used a resistor? The '58 did, as shown in the 58 Manual, but I do not see one in the '59 schematic.
Wire lengths:
1) 60"
2) 16"
3) this is a "given", comes with blower unit
4) 24-25"
You might see from these pictures that I never completed 1) and 2).
There is also a 2-wire (green/brown) line connecting PB controls. Green goes to the blower(fan) switch, brown goes to "T" connect of blower motor. Brown should be 24", green can be 8".
I hope you make these wires up yourself, Frank. The stumbling block I had was finding connectors which would mate with existing connectors. (I never did find them).
Last edited by rogerh on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.