A/C parts needed

Looking for something? Post it here!
rogerh

Re: A/C parts needed

Post by rogerh »

...and I've looked at two separate wiring diagrams but cannot find the a/c resistor you speak of.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

ac wiring.PDF
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Just went out and checked my temp control lever. Mine only says WARM with the red arrow. No Lo, Med, or Hi. Sure enough. The lever does push in and out. I must have forgotten about this function, not really needing it here in WI for warm weather driving. I must have used this in-out fan speed feature up in Maine when driving through the Maine winters in my '59. I dug out my Owner's Manual and it shows a temp control lever like mine with only WARM and arrow, and it only says pull out for HI and push in for LOW. So I must have 2 speed. You guys must have a later version with the 3 speed.
Frank - when you're all done with A/C, don't forget about that little a/c decal on rear passenger side window, if they're still available.

Side note - A/C recently went out on my Dodge Van....compressor seized. Never had good luck with A/C. To use defroster in winter, you have to unplug wire going to clutch. Kinda helps to know that.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Frank,
You may want to make the compressor clutch wire a little longer than 60", depending on the route you take to get from compressor, over the valve covers to firewall, thru firewall grommet and back to thermal switch. Perhaps 66"
Forward Look Frank

Post by Forward Look Frank »

Hey Fins59 and Roger,
Thank you for the continued support on this. I think what I'll need to do is custom make my own harnesses. I should have enough spare connectors from the other '59 and a few other cars I have pulled harnesses from. I will need to purchase the correct male and female terminals to re-use the phoenolic plugs. With your measurements Roger, I should be good. Unfortunately, I will need the wire length of the blower motor. Although it is a "given" with the motor, mine is a mouse chewed uneven length of brown and green :( . If would be so kind as to just give me the length of the motor harness from the the point where you can see it to the T connector. You've already taken your car apart for the mirror issue I was having and I wouldn't dream of asking you to remove your plenum box to check. I will have to take the motor apart and solder new wires to the blower motor. Not a big deal, I already had it apart to service the motor. As for the diagrams, the '59 Chrysler Corporation AC service manual (Full Line Up) illustrates both the two speed and three speed set ups. The 3 speed setup uses a resistor. It can not be found in the 59 PSM due to the fact it was printed before the 3 speed setup was released. The PSM illustrates the two speed. All the factory did to add the 3rd speed was to add a resistor in to further reduce the speed of the motor. I will have to "ohm out" the switch but from looking at the diagram, with the 3 speed... High is High. Medium is the two speed low. 3 speed Low is 1/2 the speed of Medium. I'm vacationing in AZ right now but when I return, I will scan copies of the Chrysler Corp sevice illustrations for everyone to see. Fins59, I do in fact have the AC sticker. If I remember correctly, it goes on the passenger rear window in the lower aft corner, correct? Thanks again for all of your help and laying on your backs to get under your dashes. Take Care,
Frank
Forward Look Frank Worsham
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I was never very successful in removing the old metal connectors from their phenolic housings, although I DID try for awhile!
I think it's a good idea for you to make your own harness in this case.
Thanks for explaining why I don't see a resistor in the schematics. I will be interested in seeing the Chrysler wiring diagaram you have.
Without actually verifying today, I thought I had 3 speeds on my fan. When I go see about the fan pigtail length, I will see if I do indeed get 3 speeds from that blower fan.
(I used to have 5 or 6 blowers and housings laying about...would have made it easy to measure wire length... but I sold them all to Mr Fowlie).
Frank, when you got your a/c parts from Texas, was the thermostatic unit attached to anything?
Forward Look Frank

Hey Roger,
The Texas parts car didn't even come with it! All I had were a few clipped wire terminals and a bag of bolts. I ended up getting the thermal switch from an Imperial. This setup is going to be one fun jigsaw puzzle. By them time we finish, we will be '59 Mopar A/C experts!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

With your eye for details and your deisre for authenticity, toegether we'll get there. :D
We may have to send Fins59 a digital camera with instructions on how to use it and then upload photos, or else one of us will have to travel to Wisconsin and knock on his door!
At one time I had tracked down another A/C car, but it was a few yrs ago, the contact was tentative at best, and I've since forgotten who it was.
When you told me at Carlisle you had found a factory a/c car in TX, I was psyched. What a shame that it turned out to be all hacked up and stuff.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I admit that hangind under the dash is not my best talent anymore.
I looked at the pigtail from the blower motor, and I estimate it to be 8-12" in length.
I wih/hope that someone else, especially John Fowlie, would suport this measurement. He has several of these blower boxes out of car and easy to measure. :|
Forward Look Frank

Hey Roger,
I tried hard yesterday to go to the junk yard here in AZ that used to have a '59 AC car. The owner sold all of his cars. I was hoping he had the one left but he didn't. I did get a blower resistor for my '78 Pickup though. It was bolted inside of the plastic A/C plenum box. I will examine my plenum box carefully when I get home but I don't remember seeing a resistor or place to put a resistor. Ma Mopar puts them in a place to keep them cool as they dissipate alot of heat. The plenum box is always a good place since when you're running it the blower motor will send air by it cooling it off. More investigation to follow. Hopefully John will come through with a measurement. I will measure one of my heater pig tails. I'm thinking it was the same measurement. However, I do know the heater motor is shorter than the 3 speed A/C motor. Interesting, huh? Talk with you later.
Take Care,
Frank
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Frank, you make me want to disassemble my car, just to find the answers you seek!
I'm thinking now I remember seeing a resistor inside the plenum, but maybe it was a sensor.
Perhaps I should ship the car east so you can use it in your wedding, then copy off it if it's deemed factory-correct, then store the car for me or rent it out for income (60/40 split).
I have to attend a wedding in Vermont Oct 23, so if I start driving east now.......:wink:
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Hi Roger,

I will be in Philadelphia on November 23rd, please let me know where to pick up the car. We will wash it for you and fill it up so I think $50 would be a fair rental price for 4 days :lol: Maybe I will rent it a little longer but I need to find a good shipping company in the area first 8)

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I just had a look: my car has the 1832 672 radiator, correct for NON-a/c MP-2s.
Correct a/c radiator would be 1872 693. As Frank says, the a/c radiators were the same in all lines for '59. The questions keep piling up: is a fan shroud factory-issue, or imperative for a/c cars?
Forward Look Frank

Hey Roger,
Don't get crazy on taking things apart. I have the plenum box sitting on a shelf at home and the whole hole evaporator doing the same. I'll check it out when I get I home. I'll gladly take you up on your offer :wink: but I think Ron might smuggle it out before I can get to it :D . I'll keep you posted on what I find and I'll help you out with a harness once I get mine figured out if you need it. Thanks for all of your help.
Take Care,
Frank
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Just noticed. I have a radiator in my parts bin that came from a 1959 Savoy 6 cyl, stick shift. # is 1832 671. Don't see that listed in parts book. Maybe it came from another model year???