Rear dual antennas

eBay is where to find that elusive part!
vic barone

Rear dual antennas

Post by vic barone »

Hi all
I've located some rear antenna for $250 which are in need of rechroming and one has a missing antenna mast

Do you think this is a fair price given how hard they are to come by

Cheers

Vic
Faulkner

Re: Rear dual antennas

Post by Faulkner »

Vic,

I got lucky at Carlisle, and picked these up for $100. I gave them to Vans in exchange for the promise of a reproduction pair, and an on-the-spot discount on a gas tank. I don't know what they plan to sell reproductions for - I'm guessing $500 - but you're probably in for at least $400 after finding replacement parts and rechroming. I also don't know when Vans will have them. It's probably time for me to check in - I'll get back to you.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
vic barone

Post by vic barone »

Cheers Dan

It's just that they seem to be very hard to come across

It doesn't help as $250 US converts to $340 AUD!!
william0431

Post by william0431 »

I had been searching for a set for a while and finally got lucky and purchased a set of dual antennas, they are in decent shape but will need a re chroming. One of mine is also sporting a broken mast. Does any one know a source to replace it? all the parts to the base are present just the mast is snapped off? any one have a lead on original replacements or an idea on if I can retro fit a mast from another make/model of similar size?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I'm interested in the reply to this myself, William. I scored a couple of bases at Carlisle in 2016 - the plan was for Vans to reproduce them and give me a set, but they decided the startup costs were too much and returned them to me. I've since had them replated, my plan was to cannibalize these antennas - but if there's something, e.g. from Pep Boys that would work, I'd just as soon not destroy them.

Dan
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Dan, are you still in need of some replacement masts for dual rear antennas? Found this eBay listing that sounds about right altho a little on the pricey side.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1955-57-58-59-61 ... SwMORW7u13

Interesting reading the description makes me think that front fender masts and the rear masts are interchangeable possibly? Curious if this is true, when I get home tonight I'll measure my dual masts and maybe you can verify with your front. Either way hope these fit the bill for your needs.

William
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Wow, pricey is right, William! I'm not in for $175, when the all the attention is on the bases, not the masts. I imagine that if what I have doesn't work, I'll find something close enough for me at an auto store.

BTW, I gave my front antenna to Steve Ovick, since he was in need of one. It will be interesting to find out, though, if it fits the rear.

Dan
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Dan, I completely agree, that's a tad bit steep for a set of antenna masts :lol: for me the real value was the description. The seller seems to specialize in 50s antennas and car radios so hopefully the info is correct and if so I can use my old fender mounted mast to replace my missing rear.

And if that does not work I'll find a matching set in the junk yard :D when I get home.