'59 Hardtop with '54K miles

eBay is where to find that elusive part!
Faulkner

'59 Hardtop with '54K miles

Post by Faulkner »

Nice car - I recognize the undercarriage, though :shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Plymouth-F ... 2181383000

Data plate, Matthew!
s-l1600.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Bernie B.

Re: '59 Hardtop with '54K miles

Post by Bernie B. »

Not only does this car look good, it also looks like one that was in an ad for a once-a-year car wax about 20 years ago. I think the product was "Nu-Finish."

Wonder if anyone else remembers the ad, aired a lot during automotive-themed shows, races and such for a year or two.

I'm certain the car in the ad was black with a white roof, and red Sport Fury interior. Probably have it captured on an old VHS tape somewhere. They had the hood area "clouded" from "neglect" then it shined right up with the advertised wax. Maybe this will stir a memory. Not saying it is the same car, but the color combo is correct.

For Matthew, the serial number and date helps with estimating each plant's production... Evansville was using numbers in the 5000's at this date while Newark is in the 3000's.

Dan, this car is almost in your backyard from my reading of a map!

BB
Vanish

Re: '59 Hardtop with '54K miles

Post by Vanish »

1959 Plymouth Sport Fury two door hardtop. Two family owned – only ever driven by the original owner and the father & son of the second family. Mostly original Jet Black with Iceberg White top paint. Beautiful all original interior with: red vinyl and cloth seats, white headliner, black carpeting. 54,314 miles showing on odometer (title states as original miles). Matching numbers 318 CID V8 Super Pack 260 HP engine with 4 barrel carburation and optional TorqueFlite 3 speed push-button automatic transmission.

This Sport Fury has lived its entire life in Reading Pennsylvania and has been garage kept since new. Sold new by Hettinger Bros. Chrysler Plymouth to William Lebo. In 1983 the Sport Fury was sold to Richard Weidner of Reading by William’s widow Stella Lebo. In 2010 Richard passed away and the Fury was given to Richards’s son Mark Weidner of Reading who sadly passed away in 2014. Includes original: Owner Service Certificate and Service Record documentation from Hettinger Bros dealership to William Lebo as well as the original owner’s manual and a Hettinger license plate frame. Don’t miss this opportunity to own a piece of automotive history.

VIN interpretation: M295103368

M = 1959
2 = Plymouth
9 = Sport Fury
5 = Newark (Delaware production plant)
103368 = Sequential production serial number (3,368)

Engine Number: MP8-227766 (V8 318 CID 260 HP with 4 barrel Carter carburation)

M = 1959
P8 = Plymouth 318
227766 = sequential production serial number
Carburettor number AC9 2812S (Carter ABF four-barrel)

Data Plate information:
Options: 301 = Power Steering; 293 = TorqueFlite 3 speed automatic transmission; 403 = Remote control mirror (deluxe) with matching passenger side mirror
PNT XA1 = Paint Code: X = Iceberg White top; A = Jet Black bottom
DATE 0416 = Scheduled build date April 16, 1959
BDY 292 = Body Number = Sport Fury Hardtop
TRM 347 = Interior Trim = Red custom Sport Fury only

Standard equipment for the Sport Fury includes all the Fury features plus swivel front seats, sport trunk lid tire cover stamping, custom red vinyl / cloth Sport Fury only seats and panels, custom steering wheel, and the standard V-8 318CID engine with four-barrel carburetion with 260 horsepower.

Additional factory options original to this Sport Fury include: Solex tinted glass, push button am radio, rubber strips on front bumper and rear bumper guards, Mirror-Matic rear view mirror, deluxe steering wheel with full circle horn ring, electric clock, locking glove box door, locking gas / fuel cap, dual exterior mirrors with left mirror remote control, single rear radio speaker, clear plastic front seat covers, padded dash, power steering and power brakes.

Thumbnail overview:
Mostly original paint – Jet Black with Iceburg White top
Numbers matching
Original mileage 54,314
Sold new in Reading Pennsylvania and never left Reading ownership
Two family owned (3 owners) since new
Very solid
All original factory Solex tinted glass
Beautiful original interior: dash, seats, door panels, steering wheel, etc
Clear plastic front seat covers since new
Mirror-Matic rear view mirror
Push button AM radio
Factory optional bumper rubber impact strips front and rear
Previous owner had registered with AACA Historical Preservation of Original Features
Several minor dings in the trim
Minor paint issue at original quarter panel leaded joints
Overall car shows very well for a survivor and drives nicely
Valid Pennsylvania title
Will be adding my Signature soon as soon as i quit Procrastinating .... hey wait this is my Signature! .... Job Done !! :D