Exotica mechanicals

There's a vendor for everything! Check out some of the popular ones here
Faulkner

Exotica mechanicals

Post by Faulkner »

There's a local by the name of Frank Todd -- (856) 881-6935 -- who does quite a business catering to the needs of area folk for mechanicals. Brake linings (drums and transmission), hubs, etc. If he doesn't have it stored in his barn, he can usually get it.

The guy who used to have Faulker removed the hubs when he turned the drums; then, didn't center the hubs when he put them back on. I thought I was going to have to replace them, but Frank wanted a look. He removed the hubs, cut just enough to fix them, then mounted the hubs correctly. The drums are perfect now! He saved me a small fortune.

At any rate, give him a holler if you're stuck for parts. If you're going to an area show (e.g., Carlisle, Hershey) I can even bring them to you and save you the postage.

Dan
Faulkner

Re: Exotica mechanicals

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:There's a local by the name of Frank Todd -- (856) 881-6935 -- who does quite a business catering to the needs of area folk for mechanicals. Brake linings (drums and transmission), hubs, etc. If he doesn't have it stored in his barn, he can usually get it.
I'm in the hunt for brake shoes and a wheel cylinder for Faulkner, so I've been giving Frank Todd a try. For days now. He never picks up, and the voice mailbox is full. I'm asking around to find out if folks who know him have a new number for him, but no luck so far.

(*sigh*)... The shoes are Raybestos 84PG (11"x2"). Old Parts Source has them on eBay for $65. Can I do any better? I don't see that NAPA or Rock Auto has them.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan, If the wheel cylinder is for the rear, no problem, if for the front, be careful, there are early and late cylinders. It has to do with the width of the slot in the cylinder that fits over the adjusting plate.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Good to know! In my case, it's the rear that's leaking.

I went to the Raybestos website, and list Ray's Best Brakes as a dealer. Ray's only wants 35 bucks for 84PG's! I'll go with them, and get the wheel cylinder from NAPA.

Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Rock auto has these for sure!

I know I've got all my wheel cilinders from them
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rock.jpg
"All the parts your car will ever need."

Wait! I need this part! :roll:

It occurred to me that "Ray's Best Brakes" may only want $35, because it's only one pair of shoes - although, you should never replace one side without the other. I've put the question to them.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

That's why garage Keij always has 2 or 3 sets in stock :lol:
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:It occurred to me that "Ray's Best Brakes" may only want $35, because it's only one pair of shoes - although, you should never replace one side without the other. I've put the question to them.
Yup - after two days of spamming their multiple inboxes, they finally got back to me:
From: orders@raysbestbrakes [mailto:orders@raysbestbrakes.com]
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2016 7:38 AM
To: Morton, Dan
Subject: RE: Raybestos 84PG

One axle.

Jason
Ray's Best Brakes
Mon-Fri
8:00-5:00 ET
(*sigh*.) Guess I'll go with The Old Parts Source on eBay.