Steering wheel recasting

There's a vendor for everything! Check out some of the popular ones here
Tony

Steering wheel recasting

Post by Tony »

I had the original wheel from my 59 Sport Fury recast last year by Don Eash of D & D Automoblia. Don's shop is located at 813 Ragers Hill Rd., South Fork, PA 15956. For those of you in or near Pennsylvania, South Fork is about 30 minutes NE of Johnstown. His number is 814-539-5653 and he prefers that customers call between 1PM and 5PM ET.
I stopped at his shop last July on my way back from Carlisle and he showed me the complete process from stripping the wheel to pouring the liquid urethane into the mold and evacuating any air in the liquid in a pressure chamber. After curing, he trims off all of the sprues and polishes the wheel to a perfect gloss. He doesn't have molds for every wheel made, but he's always looking for a good wheel to make a new mold from. Email at adicenso43@earthlink.net for a picture of my wheel.
Tony
Falcon, Colorado
Plymouth Owners Club
Southern Colorado Mopars
41 PT 125, 58 Belvedere, 59 Sport Fury, 65 Sport Fury, 71 GTX
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hi Tony -- I'm taking the liberty of posting the image here, that you sent me on an earlier occasion. Thanks! Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Yeah, that wheel looks very nice! Our wheel is now being recasted. Can't wait till my parents pick the wheel up at tony's place. I wanna see it :D
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

neat! How much did it cost you?
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

It costs $750. My parents are picking up our new steering wheel tomorrow at Tony's place. They are in the US of A now. Only i have to wait 3 weeks before it can go in our car. I kinda miss the car now :cry:
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew, I notice that you didn't say, "I miss my parents" :lol:

Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Faulkner wrote:Matthew, I notice that you didn't say, "I miss my parents" :lol:

Dan
:D You saw that good! No, i miss them a little bit. It's really quiet here. They are gone for a good reason ;-) Our new steering wheel :D can't wait till they bring it home.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

It is in the car now!! And it looks FANTASTIC.

Thanks Tony!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Let's have a pic for the world to see!

Dan
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Next Sunday I'll show it to the world, the weather is too bad now to make pictures. I'll make plenty of pics tomorrow when I meet Johnny Otter and his SF! Just hope that the weather gets better.

Ron
mrtester

Post by mrtester »

W W Motorcars and Parts, in rural northern Virginia, is an auto restoration shop that has an elaborate steering wheel recasting operation. Cars and Parts Magazine used this shop in some of its restoration projects, chiefly the steering wheel of a '57 Chevy restoration it did in 1992. I have a record of this restoration in book form, and the finished wheel looks good. There is no reason why the shop cannot replicate that success with a 59 Belvedere or Sport Fury wheel. They were charging $475 per wheel in 1992, I don't know what they are charging today.

http://www.wwmotorcars.com

W W Motorcars and Parts Inc.
132 Main Street
Broadway, VA 22815
(540) 896-8243
ragtop

Re: Steering wheel recasting

Post by ragtop »

how can i get a hold of Tony i need my steering wheel done also i live in colorado springs he lives in falcon colorado my number is 719 392 2276 call me
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Ragtop, I sent out my steering wheel to be recast by Koch's, in California. I don't know if the work is as good as Eash's, but I'll soon find out -- it shipped Friday. I'll take pix and post them here when it arrives.

The also touched up the padded insert for me, and painted it and the brown parts of my wheel black. All for $600; we'll see.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The wheel's arrived! It looks just great. I noticed a tiny bubble in the lower casting, off to the side -- really too small to even mention. The cracked brown pieces were expertly glued together -- it looks like they may have been encapsulated in black, one continuous piece! An expert fusion with the clear plastic; and the padded center came out beautiful. Now, I'm going to have to get the "Plymouth" insert rechromed!

I'm really happy with the way in came out. It makes the whole "Robert Doucet" incident a distant memory...

Dan
IMG_0585.jpg
IMG_0586.jpg
IMG_0587.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Great report..so glad it was all you expected..