Carlisle 2008

Been to any good car shows lately? Got pix? Share your story!
Ron Keij

Carlisle 2008

Post by Ron Keij »

rogerh wrote:I'd like to hear a report..for example, did Curt and car make it to the show?
As Dan is very busy I'll write a short story about our third Carlisle trip:

We (Matthew and Andre) had been working on Faulkner for a couple of days again this year. It seems that he is getting in better shape every year! The head light switch was cleaned, medallions put on the car with a new black vinyl insert (thank you Tom Fox!) and the whole car was cleaned and polished. Friday at 9 AM we were all ready to go except for.....................Faulkner :(
He didn't do anything when Matthew turned the key, after a quick search Matthew noticed that one of the wires was not making contact :lol: So we left a little later than expected but the whole trip down went smooth and easy, at the turnpike Dan told Matthew to get in the drivers seat and he really enjoyed that!

Arrived at Carlisle we tried to find a parking space with the other Forwardlook cars and after driving around the block first we found a place opposite to the others. There were not enough places for the finned cars :x although the organisation knows how many cars would show up because everybody registers in advance. There were a couple of 59's parked there already, Tom Fox immaculate Belvy convertible, Mark Coudrieut's Fury, Joe Leone's Fury and a 59 Savoy that we had not seen before.

6715.jpg
The unknown Savoy (owned by Rob Agliera)

We already knew the Curt Lambdin was going to arrive later in the afternoon. When we got out of the car Tom told us that there was a 59 Suburban for sale.

IMG_6765.jpg
the Suburban that was for sale

Curt's wife Jo Ann drove the 59 to Carlisle with their daughter Grace as her navigator.

IMG_6746.jpg
Jo Ann and Grace cruisin'

When they got out of the car we talked for a while and Jo Ann told me that she had some trouble with the car on her way to Carlisle. After filling the tank she drove for a couple of miles and the engine lost power :( So this was Matthew's cue and he opened the hood with Andre following him. The car wouldn't start anymore and after about an hour and a lot of discussion they figured out that the fuel pump was the problem. While Andre was busy the owner of the Suburban came by with his car and we took a picture of 5 cars in a row.

IMG_6760.jpg
5 in a row

We decided to leave the car there with Dan's car cover over it and get a new fuel pump in the morning. Jo Ann insisted on taking us out for dinner and we had a great meal on our way to the hotel, thanks again Curt and Jo Ann! After that we all went back to the hotel where we talked for a while with Tom who had some goodies in his truck for everybody.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Ron Keij

Re: Carlisle 2008

Post by Ron Keij »

After a good night sleep we went back to the fair grounds real early to make sure we would be able to park with the others. On our way there we stop at Advance Auto to buy a new fuel pump for Curt's car. Before it got too hot Andre put the fuel pump in the car and found some hoses that were full of cracks so he and matthew walked back to the store to get some new hoses too. After three hours they got the car running perfectly and it was time to start looking for parts. We didn't find much parts and it was getting too hot so we all went back to the Forwardlook tent. Then Curt told us that the heat was getting too much for him and that he had to leave early. The 59 group photo was scheduled at 6 PM and we started to find everybody to get the cars in line. After a while we managed too find them all and the group photo could be made. The only one not there was the owner of the Suburban, he sold the car that afternoon and the worst news was that the new owner told him that he would replace the fins for the fins of a 1960 Plymouth :twisted:

IMG_6938.jpg
the new record, 7 in a row
IMG_6940.jpg
14 fins

We checked out cars and chatted with a lot of people that afternoon until it was time for the traditional chicken dinner and beer.

IMG_6985.jpg
It also shows it was hot that day

Then we went to the drive in movie and I got a ride from Bill in his 1960 Dodge Polara and Dave Stragand joined us too. Watching Christine is always fun but when you are there with a 59 right in front of the screen that doubles the fun! Unfortunately no pics because it was too dark for good pictures :(
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Ron Keij wrote:Watching Christine is always fun but when you are there with a 59 right in front of the screen that doubles the fun! Unfortunately no pics because it was too dark for good pictures :(
Here's a couple of pics -- I'm hoping to put together a Carlisle 2008 webpage today.

If Marie doesn't kick me off the computer, that is :cry:

Dan

IMG_0164.JPG
Dan and Bob's, er, Bill's car at the drive-in
IMG_0167.jpg
B-B-B-Bad to the Bone
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

On Sunday we went back home after a hot, exhausting weekend full of fun. Dan drove Faulkner back home with speeds between 80 and 90 mph and the car did not protest at all :!: To keep it a 1959 Plymouth weekend we went to see Ed and Ruth Ober and their stunning Black Beauty. Ed promised me a ride in his car a while ago but (my luck :)) his transmission started leaking when he came home from a car show two weeks before and it needs to be fixed first. Maybe next time, I will be back for the 50th anniversary next year and I hope to meet more of you there next year. I know there are a lot more 59 Plymouth's in the area!

Below are some random photo's we made.
IMG_6750.jpg
Curt's artwork on the trunk
IMG_6758.jpg
meeting Curt
IMG_6784.jpg
Christine's younger sister?
IMG_6830.jpg
suburban front
IMG_6932.jpg
isn't she lovely?
IMG_6969.jpg
Yes she is!!
IMG_6928.jpg
group shot
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Thank you for the full report, and for all the photos, Ron. It made me wistful ...I wish I could have joined you all this year. Sad to hear that wagon is going under the torch to satisfy some customizer's "vision".
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

rogerh wrote:Thank you for the full report, and for all the photos, Ron. It made me wistful ...I wish I could have joined you all this year. Sad to hear that wagon is going under the torch to satisfy some customizer's "vision".
Hi Roger,

And this wasn't even the full report :) But you can start planning for next year, it will be great if you are able to join us to celebrate the 50th birthday with us.
I promise you that the first beer is on me!

It is sad if the guy will torch the wagon, it is a solid original car :cry:

See you next year!
Ron
Faulkner

Carlisle 2008 pix are up!

Post by Faulkner »

...with a decided '59 Plymouth bent. So, sue me!

http://www.59plymouth.net/Events

Got a '59 Plymouth? We expect to see you next year for the 50th Anniversary, so start planning your trip now!

Thanks to Ron and Matthew Keij, Curt Lambdin and Bill Taekema for sharing their pix.

Enjoy
Dan
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Dan,

Thanks for your efforts to post all these great pictures. I even signed the guestbook in hopes that other would post as well.
I particularly liked that you grouped all the pictures together by car/owner. I know how much time that takes to sort and upload these pictures!

Thanks again - it really looks and sounds great!!! I like the small videos - hey next time I want my exhaust tunes recorded!!!! :lol:

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Faulkner

A few more Carlisle pix from Bill Taekema

Post by Faulkner »

These didn't make the album, but they are nice pix all the same.

Carlisle 2008 093.jpg
David and John Wilson's SF hardtop
Carlisle 2008 130.jpg
At the drive-in where Christine is playing. Is that the ghost of Arnie?!
Hub Caped Amanda.JPG
Bill says, "While Amanda and I were at Chrysler's @ Carlisle Pa. car show... I was parked next to a 1967 Dodge Polara with mooner hubcaps (wheel rims). I noticed a great photo opportunity and took it."