DAYTONA TURKEY RUN - November 26, 2010

Been to any good car shows lately? Got pix? Share your story!
Dick Koch

DAYTONA TURKEY RUN - November 26, 2010

Post by Dick Koch »

Greenie drove like a dream both ways. I'm not sure of the exact count but it had to be over 4,500 cars. The weather was beautiful, thursday and friday was sunny, rained all friday night but cleared up saturday morning (the big day) but was overcast and jacket weather all day. Sunday was hot and we left for home arount 2 pm. The flea market is immense but I got the stuff I needed in about 1 hour. a pair of really heavy duty glass pack mufflers at $10 each, smittys are made of sheet metal and are $30 each, I found out the further back you mount the mufflers the smoother the tone, I aslo found the 3" flex hose for the underdash AC vents and some stainless steel polishing supplies. I found Nostalgic Air Parts, Inc., Tampa, Fl. that supposedly has adapters for mounting a Sanden Compressor on the 318 engine. http://www.Nostalgicarparts.com. I borrowed my daughters scooter (MS) it breaks down into four pieces and fits nicely in the trunk. Believe me, if you don't have at least 40 year old legs and feet you need a scooter for turkey run, it fill the entire speedway infield. The pictures are a mix of Mopars and othes and expecially Earnie,s beautiful black 59 SF. I found his car saturday, it was about as far away from mine as you could get. Went over twice and waited awhile but he never showed up. Late saturday afternoon I was over at my car people watching and noticed this tall lanky guy with a keen interest in my car taking a lot of pictures. He looked my way and asked if it was my car, lo and behold it was Earnie.. He had been looking for me all day and was about to give up. We traded war stories for a while and had a very nice visit.
Dick.
100_2334.jpg
100_2336.jpg
100_2343.jpg
100_2344.jpg
100_2348.jpg
100_2350.jpg
100_2352.jpg
100_2358.jpg
100_2368.jpg
100_2369.jpg
100_2370.jpg
100_2373.jpg
100_2374.jpg
100_2377.jpg
100_2378.jpg
100_2379.jpg
100_2383.jpg
100_2384.jpg
100_2387.jpg
100_2388.jpg
100_2389.jpg
100_2390.jpg
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Re: 2010 DAYTONA TURKEY RUN.

Post by Dick Koch »

OOPS!!!!!!!!! That's www.Nostalgicairparts.com.
Sorry,
Dick.
big m

Post by big m »

Great photos, Dick!

Looks like you had a great turnout, what was the total attendance at the show, car-wise?

---John
In rust we trust!
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

I knew I had to stay longer in Florida! Wish I could have stayed for the show and the great company and weather! Ever since we got back home it hasn't been above 29F :x I'll be a better planner on our next trip and make sure I can go to one of the good car shows with you 8)

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - I'm not sure of the exact count but It's above 4,500 show cars and damn near that many in the car corral.

Ron - You better!!!

Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

"Blackie" is missin' an ornamental seat buckle.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

rogerh wrote:"Blackie" is missin' an ornamental seat buckle.
Dick! Give it back! :o

John Q.

PS sharp eyes Roger, I missed it completely.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Does that mean I have to give back the washer bag cap too.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Yes, give that back too! I have an extra cap if you need one that bad! Sheesh! What are we going to do with you!!!!! :lol:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Faulkner

From a previous Daytona Turkey Run...

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote:Bill & Melanie Porter are friends of ours and bought this Hudson at Turkey Run in Daytona several years ago. I was walking around in the Car Corral and spotted this car before they bought it. I would be the owner today if I had a different wife. Anyway my green 59 SF is parked next to it and shows up in the article pictures. The Hudson is magnificent, I'm forwarding this in case you may want to post it on the site.
Hudson 1.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: From a previous Daytona Turkey Run...

Wow! that Hudson is huge! A land barge! And it docked next to Dick's Green 59 SF.

Makes the SF seem small! :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Oldschoolcarguy

Post by Oldschoolcarguy »

Great photos Dick.

I was beginning to think you didn't exist toward the end of the day Saturday. My quest to find Greenie did ensure I saw each and every one of the 4500 plus cars that were there. You were literaly parked in the last row left to look in! What a BEEEautiful example she is. I will build another garage for her when and if you are ever ready to part with herl!!! I really enjoyed our visit. Let's share parking space numbers ahead of time next year so we will have more time to "shoot the breeze."

"Blackie" is named "Marylin" and yeah - the seat buckle just fell off one day. It doesn't seem to have anything on the back of it which would affix it to the upohlstery?? :?: Anyone got the skinny on this?
"Oldschool is cool"

Ernie D.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Earnie - A local car club get that whole section every year, I get a parking space for $5 bucks in a much more secure place, everybody there know each other and are always looking out for each other. Next year, if you want, I will get you a space and mail the window sticker to you. As far as the buckle goes I had one fall off a while back, I used Goop to put it back on and so far its still on. It's amazing what problems Goop will solve.
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

On the original buckles, each casting included two tiny pairs of "fingers" on the back.
The fingers were pinched together to grab a stiff wire shaped like a "T".
The fingers gripped either end of the crossbar of the "T", then the leg of the "T" was poked thru the seat fabric. At the base of the "T" leg there was a loop. Thru the loop was put a string, or strip of cloth and this was tied to the metal springs.
The reason you don't see any attachment points on your buckle is the "fingers" have broken off.
Matthew was able to re-attach his car's buckle because the "fingers" are just barely gripping the wire. He got the wire back into the grip of the "fingers".
He could risk bending the "fingers" tighter, but likely one or more will break if he tries.
The "Goop" idea is a pretty good one! You could also try to glue some sort of baseplate to the wire protruding from the seat, then glue the buckle to the baseplate :roll: