Rose Parade - Portland OR, June 6, 2009

Been to any good car shows lately? Got pix? Share your story!
Faulkner

Rose Parade - Portland OR, June 6, 2009

Post by Faulkner »

For those of you who don't know, the Portland, Oregon Rose Parade is a pretty big deal. Tom and his friends had the opportunity to participate...
Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2009 7:29 PM
To: Dan Morton
Subject: Portland Rose Parade

Hi Dan,

Here are three photos for you, It was difficult to get any more once we were underway. The two princesses that I had in my car were high school seniors in 1959. Time has been good to them....

Wil's son [Wil Eichelberg] brought Wils SF. The black 60 Dodge belongs to Merle Wolfer. The 60 Fury belongs to Terry Ballard of Eugene OR. He is in our local WPC chapter.

The parade was televised all over the country and I recorded it. Now if you can tell me how to retrieve a photo from a DVR recording............

Tom
Tom has since told me he can burn a DVD for me to rip, so look for vids coming soon. Meanwhile, here are Tom's pix -- and a snapshot I took from a YouTube video. If you don't know about the Mummers, well then, you don't know that the Philadelphia Mummers are a pretty big deal too :D

Dan
P1000671.JPG
P1000673.JPG
P1000674.JPG
mummers.JPG
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Re: Portland Rose Parade

Post by Faulkner »

A tape arrived today that Tom Fox sent me with footage of the Portland Rose Parade:
Tom Fox wrote:
The cars got out of order from the beginning so the commentary was a little off.

Wil's car died right at the beginning of the parade and didn't finish. I travelled with Dale [Wil Eichelberg's son] on the way into Portland and it ran OK, but I guess it wouldn't stay running at an idle. I'm not sure you want to show a '59 dying, you decide.

Tom
'59 Plymouths never die! They just... take a rest, now and then. Thanks for the vid, Tom.

Dan
Rose_Parade.wmv
(8.54 MiB) Downloaded 1055 times
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

great contribution of footage!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

I agree, Great footage! I dowloaded this and sent it my fellow Forward Lookers and WP Chrysler Members who live locally, They all responded with a collective Thumbs up and all felt the pain of Will's car having a senior moment.

John Q
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Got this note from Tom Fox!
Tom Fox wrote:Hi Dan,

Our WPC club Pacific Wonderland region, held a meeting yesterday, Sep 12 and Wil Eichelberg showed us some photos he had taken at the Portland Rose parade in June. The last picture in his little album was the Philadelphia Mummers (see attached) Would you believe......I did not know that this group was in the Portland parade until now!
Even though I had recorded the entire parade, I never sat and watched the whole thing.

When I saw your picture of this group that you had pulled off of You Tube and added to my photos, I thought you were telling us Philly has a parade that is also a pretty big deal. You didn't mention they had traveled all the way out west to be in the 105th annual Portland Rose Festival Grand Floral Parade! Now that is a really big deal!

Tom
image.jpg