O'Reilly Auto Parts Denver Rod and Custom show last weekend!

Denver 59 Fin Convert

O'Reilly Auto Parts Denver Rod and Custom show last weekend!

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Well, it's a miracle, but I did manage to fire up the 59 and put it in a 3 day show this past weekend at the Colorado Convention Center in Downtown Denver.
I was asked to display the car (no judging for me!) by the Colorado Old Car Council (collection of all the car clubs to promote old and antique cars) I think they ran out of cars and reluctantly asked me to display the convert. Show name was "Creme De Le Chrome"

I shuttled the car downtown on Wednesday berfore Thanksgiving to get it in place and the show started on Friday and ran thru Sunday. Rick Clapham (Mopar Ricky) and I went down on Saturday to check out the show. Had a lot of intrest in the car, I think the Turquoise paint color attractedc people. I still need to work on the paint finish a bit with a "Cut and Buff" I was told by Professional paint people to do. I will see what I can do this weekend.

Here are the pictures I took of the Convert, Looks great from 20" away!

John Quinn
IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Re: O'Reilly Auto Parts Denver Rod and Custom show last week

Post by rogerh »

Interesting re: paint. Fixable.
I sometimes wonder if the circa '59 cars, like the brass era cars , are cars which have become"unrelateable" to the current mass media. Regardless, I wouldn't change a thing.
I
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - All I can say is "STUNNING".
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Sharp car, Sharp color, Sharp interior.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

John, somewhere along the way I missed your purchase of appropriate tires...congratulations! They look great.
Your car gets me thinking how the various folks in NW Iowa must have viewed my former Belvedere convertible.
Although I was never able to coax any vintage pics out of the former owners..(too much time had passed), I can easily imagine the various young couples making summer road trips to Yellowstone, or simply parking by the nearest lake, to watch the submarine races. My car was red, with white top. The turquoise and white to me is somewhat similar in effect. The late '50s were unusual, for sure!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Roger, I went with the Dan Morton style of using Port-a-Walls inserts on regular Radials (P215-70R-14) back in May of this year. When I was asked to display my car at the same Colorado Convention Center for a Senior Salute to 50's & 60's TV shows that had Jerry Mathers from Leave it to Beaver fame as the guest speaker. The show sponsor wanted my car but had me change out to the tires to a period look.

$80 in Port-A-Walls inserts and $350 in new radial tires I now looked period enough! Just could not go the Re-Production white wall Cokers at $250 a tire. Thought this is what an owner would do back in the day anyhow to get that "Look" Glad you like them.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
big m

Post by big m »

Your '59 looks great there, John!!!
In rust we trust!
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Wow-Looks great John. Vive la differance from when you carted it home. Congrats on a great restore!!