The Convertible

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: The Convertible

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Good work on the visor hooks, I will this weekend do the same since both had broken on me. Tom Fox had said to to the same a few years ago to me. And he was spot on.

On the screw, did you use a coast thread on a Standard pitch thread ilke a 1/4-20 by 1/2" or 3/8" Length?

John Q
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

John, this is so much better! The hooks are not even moving a little bit as they did with the nuts.

I have no idea what screws I used. We have a cabinet with bolts, nuts, nails and screws. I just picked 2 of them that looked ok. Drilled a small hole in the head of the hook and screwed them in. After seeing this was perfect I mounted them to the trim!

I also changed the snaps on the rear seat today. The screws that came from GG were very long and the ones I put in there were short.
Thought I could use the shorter ones better in the arm rest when I have a correct boot cover (nothing from GG so far :cry: )
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Just picked up 4 tires!
We ordered 4 Diamond backs a while ago as we don't trust those BF goodriches anymore.
They are just in time as I can mount them tomorrow and clean the car at night as I have to work till 5pm.
Sunday is our annual Mopar show so I hope to go home with a trophy 8)

Hopefully the first pics will be posted tomorrow!
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

I am sorry to hear negative things about BF Goodrich tires. They were very good tires here for decades. I have used several sets over the years. I prefer them over other major brands. I realize they were bought out by the big European Bibendum man "Michelin".
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Here are the pics! I love these tires!
IMG_1978.JPG
IMG_1989.JPG
IMG_1991.JPG
IMG_1993.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Wow.... Those are *totally* awesome.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I hope these serve you well for many many miles!
I can't rember why I chose Coker over Diamondback. Seems that there was some issue of quality, or the Diamondbacks were re-treads or made in Mexico or something. On the Internet, (something I did not have when I bought those tires 15 years ago) there are good and bad reports on both manufacturers. There are only a few tire makers in the Americas, much like there are only a few makers of tv sets world-wide.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Look Great! what size did you get? They look pretty meaty...

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Finally a new update.
Not a lot done on the car but today was a big day.
There were a few dents and scratches and 2 small rust spots. After I fell over a ladder last week that landed on the right front fender it was time to have the front repainted. An appointment was made and I drove the car to the painter this morning. It should be ready tomorrow!
Ofcourse this is all wothless without pics so enjoy!
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg
image4.jpg
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

We also started to clean up the garage and fix some things.
I also bought a sand blasting cabinet. We had a lot of advertisments that we put on the wall
image5.jpg
image6.jpg
image7.jpg
image8.jpg
image9.jpg
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The "scratch" on the passenger front fender top was caused by me, in my garage. I was relaxing with a few beers, when I decided it would be a good idea to take down a cabinet I had screwed to the wall. Yup, I dropped it on the car.
The hood dents were evidently caused by some jerk who decided to sit on the hood (probably for a photo op), denting the hood with their buttcheeks in the process. Ya gotta watch your car!
The rust spots which appeared after the paint job were definitely a disappointment. While I didn't have any of the body parts dipped, I assumed the painter would have detected any issues and treated those areas with rust preventative. After all, he sanded the entire car down to bare metal, (or so I was led to believe).
What will you use the blast cabinet for? The cvt's headlight 'doors' could use a thorough blasting. I did blast them out in the yard (no cabinet), but I didn't use the proper paint to finish. Ditto with the front air scoop and some other front end sheetmetal...I was getting lazy and cheap as I closed in on completing the car-
big m

Post by big m »

Thanks for the update, Matthew, I always enjoy reading your posts. You've got a nice place to keep your car too!

---John
In rust we trust!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

rogerh wrote:The "scratch" on the passenger front fender top was caused by me, in my garage. I was relaxing with a few beers, when I decided it would be a good idea to take down a cabinet I had screwed to the wall. Yup, I dropped it on the car.
The hood dents were evidently caused by some jerk who decided to sit on the hood (probably for a photo op), denting the hood with their buttcheeks in the process. Ya gotta watch your car!
The rust spots which appeared after the paint job were definitely a disappointment. While I didn't have any of the body parts dipped, I assumed the painter would have detected any issues and treated those areas with rust preventative. After all, he sanded the entire car down to bare metal, (or so I was led to believe).
What will you use the blast cabinet for? The cvt's headlight 'doors' could use a thorough blasting. I did blast them out in the yard (no cabinet), but I didn't use the proper paint to finish. Ditto with the front air scoop and some other front end sheetmetal...I was getting lazy and cheap as I closed in on completing the car-
It's all fixed now!
The rust spots were minimal and there was 1, the other spot on the side of the fender near the door was actually the a small spot of bondo reacting to something.
The blast cabinet is for small parts and i've got a load of them. Trying to restore everything we have so if i'm in need of something I will have it in good condition.
I already did 1 of the headlight doors and i'm working on a second. They look great and i'm planning on putting a lot of restored parts back on the car.
big m wrote:Thanks for the update, Matthew, I always enjoy reading your posts. You've got a nice place to keep your car too!

---John
Well, here's a new update then!
It's not as nice as your place but it's something. It fits 2 59's and a lot of parts.
image10.jpg
image11.jpg
image12.jpg
image13.jpg
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Great Job on the car Matthew. You won't regret the blast cabinet, mined served me well through two restorations, now it needs a restoration!!! Is that you painting the car. Looks like basecoat/clearcoat??
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Dick, that's not me! I wanted it done good :mrgreen:
I love the blasting cabinet and using it is great. Our air compressor is too weak though so we might need a stronger one.