bbmopar

Re: New Member

Post by bbmopar »

This car has 15 inch wheels that do not have the clips or notches to fit dog dish caps. I read the comments elswhere on the board about 15 inch wheels not being an option, but I think a possible foreign built taxi may be an exception. I'd like to find some 15 inch wheel covers that would be, if not correct, at least fitting to the year. Looking around, I have found 15 inch Dodge caps and supposedly 15 inchers from a 1960 Plymouth. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

That's quite a car you have there - congratulations and welcome aboard.

My first ride in a '59 Plymouth was in a diesel-powered taxi just like yours! Except it was a white colored car.

My small town had a two-car taxi service, and I recall reading a write-up in a local paper about them getting a pair of these diesel Plymouths in used condition from a nearby city, quite possibly Boston - I'm 70 miles west of there.

I had only one or two rides that I remember, was back in 1960 or '61, quite a while back, and some years before I got a '59 Plymouth as my first car (still have it, in hibernation.)

Taxi was noisy, smelly, and I'm quite sure it was three-on-the-tree shifting. Interior was the brown vinyl seats, and I think they rode kinda hard too.

Upon realizing that these were pretty rare cars some years ago that memory came back and I wanted to share it that they were indeed prowling the streets of the USA at least for a little while.
And speaking of Plymouth taxis - Hey, Dan - I can also recall riding in a '53 or '54 Plymouth cab around Boston in 1956, the first time my folks took us there for a vacation. The Plymouth brand got in my blood long, long ago, my dad had a '33 coupe as his first car. The only other cars I recall seeing on that Boston trip were several '55-'56 Fords with the sweeping chrome strip, especially the black and yellow ones, there were many back then

Hope you enjoy this real oddball vehicle!

Bernie B.
bbmopar

Post by bbmopar »

Bernie, thanks for sharing your memories. Here's a pic of the original brown vinyl.
IMG_20190202_124052224.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:24 pm Post ‘em here! I’ll shrink them for you.
Seriously, Ed, if you upload them here, I will reduce their size and replace them in the post. Then you can download them for posting on ForwardLook.net.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Ed, I recently scored this on eBay, and thought you (and the other members) might be interested.

diesel.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"