another new member

PlumGr8SRT8

another new member

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Hey all, pretty interesting site so far. Will have many questions i am sure. In the process of picking up a '59 Fury that needs some love but in the type of condition that i want for a project car. Will be adding some question in the tech section most likely, but just wanted to say hello.
Dick Koch

Re: another new member

Post by Dick Koch »

Welcome - Lots of good guys and info here Plum? (name please). Need help, just ask. How bout some pictures of your 59.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Name is Aaron, my profile name is just the name i have used for years from when i got my 2010 Plum Crazy Challenger SRT. No pics yes, i am in the process of purchase, but i am out of the country for work for a bit. Hence why i want to ask questions, get some knowledge, get some parts ready etc. So far, have seen a lot of good info for sure.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Welcome!! Pretty sure you will find a lot of parts and knowledge here.
Hope you will be able to purchase the Fury!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Thanks. Been poking around. Looking at brake upgrades, want to add power steering. Looking for some suspension upgrades, but haven't found much on that front. Patch panels for the fenders seem a little hard to find as well. But i have a quick plan, and a long term plan so we shall see how it goes. But finding some good info along the way.
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

8349777-1959-plymouth-fury-std-c.jpg
8349782-1959-plymouth-fury-std-c.jpg
8349783-1959-plymouth-fury-std-c.jpg
8494416-1959-plymouth-fury-std-c.jpg
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Nice!!!
It’s even better then you thought cause you have a Sport Fury right there.
Do you happen to have pics of the VIN and data plate? I can decode them for you.

Send BigM a PM. He has a junkyard with 50’s cars and might be able to help you with good original sheet metal. That way you’ll be done and don’t have to do it twice
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Matthew Keij wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:20 am Nice!!!
It’s even better then you thought cause you have a Sport Fury right there.
Do you happen to have pics of the VIN and data plate? I can decode them for you.

Send BigM a PM. He has a junkyard with 50’s cars and might be able to help you with good original sheet metal. That way you’ll be done and don’t have to do it twice
How can you tell its a Sport Fury? I'm typically a modern mopar guy, but of course love the old school stuff. Have always loved Christine, obviously as most of us haha. And thats been the issue. Its very hard to find a 57 to 59 Fury that isn't restored like Christine, or already in a great condition. Kind of makes it hard to make it "my own".

Don't have a pic of the vin, but the vin i have ob the bill of sale is #M296102184
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

The side trim is totally different. Fury runs front wide at the front to small on the back and it has chrome Fury logos.
Sport Fury has small up front and goes wide in the back with medallions on the fins. Fury logos are gold on it.

Sport Fury’s are equipped with more options as a standard like the Sport deck, dash pad, swivel seats, 318 4 barrel (where the fury had a 2 barrel) and some other things.
I can see yours has a radio and solex tinted glass.
Give me a few minutes and I’ll get your VIN decoded!
Will also check my database to see if there are any known close Sport Fury’s build.
Since yours is an M296 it should have a data plate next to the master cilinder with the VIN on it
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Matthew Keij wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:30 am The side trim is totally different. Fury runs front wide at the front to small on the back and it has chrome Fury logos.
Sport Fury has small up front and goes wide in the back with medallions on the fins. Fury logos are gold on it.

Sport Fury’s are equipped with more options as a standard like the Sport deck, dash pad, swivel seats, 318 4 barrel (where the fury had a 2 barrel) and some other things.
I can see yours has a radio and solex tinted glass.
Give me a few minutes and I’ll get your VIN decoded!
Will also check my database to see if there are any known close Sport Fury’s build.
Since yours is an M296 it should have a data plate next to the master cilinder with the VIN on it
You def know more then i do haha. This is my first project into old school mopars. I am out of the country for work for a couple months still, so all i have are pics of the car and info from emailing the seller. I always liked the Sport Fury trim i guess. With how "big" the car is, i just like how it looks with the bigger/fuller trim. It was setup as a drag car, they installed a floor shifter etc, which i intend on removing and going back to the push button style as long as it is functional. I am glad i found one that was already altered. I see a lot on here and others that they restore it to original, keeping it Mopar etc. I intend to do it justice, but in my own way.

Thanks again for the info, hopefully i'll get the details i need and be able to line up the parts i need/want before i get home
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

8494406-1959-plymouth-fury-std.jpg
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Ok, ready?

Your VIN is M296102184

M- model 1959
2- Plymouth, V8
9- Sport Fury
6- build in Detroit
1- sequential number
02184- 2184th Sport Fury build in Detroit

Closest to yours I have in my database are 2029 and 3029.
3029 was build on February 1st 1959 so I guess yours would be a late 58 or early 59 but your data plate would confirm the scheduled build date
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Matthew Keij wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:39 am Ok, ready?

Your VIN is M296102184

M- model 1959
2- Plymouth, V8
9- Sport Fury
6- build in Detroit
1- sequential number
02184- 2184th Sport Fury build in Detroit

Closest to yours I have in my database are 2029 and 3029.
3029 was build on February 1st 1959 so I guess yours would be a late 58 or early 59 but your data plate would confirm the scheduled build date
Awesome info, thanks. Were Sport Furys more or less rare?
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

According to your tag:

1120 - 20th of november 1958

UV is paint code, first code would be roof color and second body color. Yours was Bronze body and palomino beige top.

Looks like interior code is 338 which would make sense as that is a copper interior

Back then Sport Fury’s were more rare as they were the most expensive model. They build 17867 Sport fury hardtops
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Matthew Keij wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:45 am According to your tag:

1120 - 20th of november 1958

UV is paint code, first code would be roof color and second body color. Yours was Bronze body and palomino beige top.

Looks like interior code is 338 which would make sense as that is a copper interior

Back then Sport Fury’s were more rare as they were the most expensive model. They build 17867 Sport fury hardtops
17k sport furys built total? Out of how many Furys? I like finding things out like this.