I am a new member

Dickjwa

I am a new member

Post by Dickjwa »

Hi, my name is Dick, I am 71 and semi retired. I am married to my wife and best friend, an awesome lady and we are Christians. We live in Everett, Washington
and I am a car nut having owned right at 200 cars in my life. I always went for the orphans and underdog makes. If they were rejected by others then I had to have them.
I have collected American Bantam's, Crosley's, Hudson's, Edsel's and Citroen's. The Citroen DS is still my most favorite car except I no longer have one now. That is another story.
I just got a 1959 Plymouth Sport Suburban that had been sitting for the last 10 years outside with the tailgate window down and the drivers door that wouldn't shut due to some damage. I still saw so much potential that I got it and it was only a half mile from our house all this time but hidden behind a box truck so I never saw it until the truck was moved and there it was. I have pictures of when I first saw it and after the first cleaning and just today had it towed home that half mile and it sits in our carport. I have looked this wagon over very well and believe it or not there is just no rust in rockers or floors. The only rust is in lower tailgate and that isn't bad and the front of the right front fender, that's it. There are a few parts missing but nothing major. The engine is stuck but I have a feeling with a little work it may still turn. I have been in the car business all my life and a mechanic for most of it so I can still do the work my self. The glass is all good and so is the original spare. The mileage shows 48310 and the doors just click shut so nice.
So I am looking for parts and if anyone can give me an idea what a wagon like this is worth.
Thank you for letting me join.
Merry Christmas to all. :lol:
Photo085.jpg
Photo084.jpg
Photo083.jpg
Photo082.jpg
Dick Koch

Re: I am a new member

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Dick - Welcome to the site. What a find, you should have a lot of fun restoring and driving that SW. Surprisingly body parts and mechanical s for 59 Plymouths are not that hard to find. We have a member John Fowlie that has an old car depository (junk yard) in California, plus members, plus ebay, plus Gary Goers who reproduces any soft and some hard parts you may need and many Mopar suppliers that have almost anything you may need, just ask and someone can lead you in the right direction. One of the best ways to get answers for any question you may have is to use the search box in the upper right hand corner of this page. We are blessed with a member in the Netherlands that keeps a register of all the cars he can. Just post the vin number and data info on this site and he can give you some pretty good info about your car. All he requires is a Hamburger if you guys ever meet.
Good luck with the SW.
Dick (all the ladies call me Big Dick) I wish.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote:All he requires is a Hamburger if you guys ever meet.
Dick, if you really want some action, buy him (Matthew) a Philly cheesesteak! Faulkner's touchup was fueled with cheesesteaks.

Wow is right, what a sweet ride this is gonna be. Pile the kids in the back, and off to the drive-in! We can't wait to see your progress - keep those pix coming. And yes, welcome aboard.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dickjwa

Post by Dickjwa »

Hi, well a whole lot of good news about my newly acquired 59 Sport Suburban. After getting it home yesterday and getting under it and going over everything very careful I find NO rust in the floors or rockers or anyplace else except the lower tail gate and the right front fender. I am thrilled about that.
The engine was froze up and I put some Marvel Mystery oil in all the cylinders and let it set for a half hour and I could turn the engine over by hand.
The wagon is very solid and I plan on having it running much sooner than I thought.
Here is the numbers off the door plate-------- M2 74 and 107793. I would like to find out as much about this wagon as I can.
Thanks for your help and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.
God bless.
Dick
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dick - When I saw the pictures of your SW and the rubber bumpers on the front bumper I thought you had a California car. The M274 Confirms that it was assembled in Los Angeles. My Green car has the same rubber bumpers and is a M274 Car. Matthew will let you know dates, etc.
Dick K.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I forgot to say having a California car is why you have so little rust.
Dick.
Dickjwa

Post by Dickjwa »

Thank you. However as to no rust, remember this wagon sat where I found it for the last 10 years with the drivers door part way open and the tailgate window down, both front wheels missing so it was sitting on the ground all that time. Other windows were down as well. The spark plugs were all out of the engine and it was frozen. So I really had no idea what I might find once it was up so I could get a good look under it. I fixed the drivers door so it would latch, same with the tailgate and rolled up the other windows and now that it is home I am drying out the carpet and floor and it all looks good. Nice to hear it was made in California since I was born there and had lived in San Diego for many years.
So I know this will be a great wagon and should have it running much sooner than I thought. One big thing that did help is someone had enough sense to take all the rubber plugs out of the floors where there are any so the water didn't have a chance to pool up inside.
Thank you for your information.

Dick
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Welcome!

Here is your VIN:
M: 1959
2: V8 Plymouth
7: Suburban
4: build in LA
1: sequential number
07793: 7793th Suburban build in LA

As it's an LA build car there should be a data plate next to the passengers side hood hinge.
Please post a pic or all the numbers, this will give a lot more info!
If you want even more you can contact Chrysler historical and get your build sheets for $50. Chrysler can tell you which dealer it came from and I can do the rest :mrgreen:
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Dickjwa

The VIN plate for my 59 Suburban

Post by Dickjwa »

Here is the VIN plate for my 59 Plymouth Suburban. I am anxious to find out more about this wagon.
Thanks again .

Dick
number plate for 59.jpg
Plate for my 59 Suburban
number plate for 59.jpg2.jpg
Plate for my 59
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Alright!

Looks like it doesn't has Solex safety tinted glass and no power windows.
Has a locked luggage compartment and power steering.
Scheduled build date 2nd of April 1959.

BT - Body Type - 278 - v8 4dr sport suburban, 6 passenger
PT - Paint - XX, roof and body Iceberg white
TR - trim - 324, should be grey seat with red bolsters

Car should have a grey dash with this interior
Dickjwa

Post by Dickjwa »

Thank you so much. I will keep you posted on the progress.
Dickjwa

Post by Dickjwa »

Is there any way to find the key codes for this wagon ?
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

They should be on the build sheet but from all the sheets I've seen most of them don't have the key codes stamped.

eBay sometimes has affordable sets with door locks and ignition
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dick - I don't know if you have a good key guy in your area but we have a guy here that can key all the lock on your car with the same key. Check around, you may have one in your are. Otherwise, once in a while key and lock sets will show up on ebay but they are usually very expensive. I have my computer set up to receive and display all the new ebay listing everday.
Dick
tomf

Post by tomf »

I'm not seeing the rubber guards on the front bumper that Dick Koch is seeing. Are there other photos?

Tom Fox