Board Upgrade

All the news here about the website, the membership, announcements, and the very latest from 1959!
Faulkner

Board Upgrade

Post by Faulkner »

Folks,

The current version of the Forum software is 3.1.6 - and, it's due for an upgrade to 3.2.0. Which means I have to back out all of my "hacks" (menu bar, mp3/mp4, etc.) to restore it to standard code, perform the upgrade, and then reintroduce the hacks. The last part is no small feat - because some of the upgrade changes to the standard software can affect some of my changes, and I have to merge the two.

But, I've prepared everything on my test system, and it looks good to go. So on Sunday, I'll be performing the upgrade. Not that we're seeing a lot of traffic lately :oops: , but it case it seems busted to you, that's the explanation. It will be back.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Re: Board Upgrade

Post by Faulkner »

Upgrade is done. You might have to purge your browser's history for things to work properly. Sorry for any inconvenience! Hope it works well for you, and you enjoy the new look.

The Gallery style is coming! Thanks for your patience, and please stay tuned...

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Well, Chat is busted - Dick pointed it out to me. You type in a chat, hit return, and the chat disappears.

I gave it a slap upside the head, and it appeared to be working again. But, now it's back to not working. Looks like I've got to do some more poking around. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The author of the Chat extension discovered a bug in the "refresh" - he fixed it (he says), and I've installed it. If anyone finds any problems with Chat - or, with any other feature of the board - please let me know. Email me here:

dan at 59plymouth dot net

Thanks
Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Some folks continue to experience problems with the Chat. This may be because of your browser.

Every time you go to a website, the first thing that happens is that the website server returns a list of files it asks the browser to retrieve to fill in the web page. Browsers "cache" these files for efficiency - if you visit a website frequently, and a file you are being asked to download is already in your cache, the browser can retrieve it locally instead of having to ask the server for it.

That's great, until an upgrade happens - and a file has been updated on the server with the same name that's in the local cache. The browser thinks it has the file, but it's an older version - and, maybe one that has a bug in it.

That could be what's happening here. You might try using a different browser on your computer, or even a different computer, to see if that's the problem. But one way to know for sure, is to clear the cache.

You want to be careful to delete just files and webpages that can be refreshed - i.e., some folks save website passwords in "cookies" that are also stored in the browser cache. Most browsers give you the option to choose what to clear from cache.

If you need help with doing this, send an email to dan at 59plymouth dot net and I will try to facilitate. Let me know what browser you are using.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Dan