poor forum performance

All the news here about the website, the membership, announcements, and the very latest from 1959!
Faulkner

poor forum performance

Post by Faulkner »

Folks,

Ever since I moved the forum to the new, secure location -- we've been suffering from performance problems. It's not the website; it's the database behind it. Just so you know, I'm aware of the problem and lobbying to get it fixed. Here's a conversation I just had via Live Chat:
Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Viktor Kulikov'

Viktor Kulikov: Welcome! This is Viktor, please let me know how can I assist you today?

you: You and I were having a chat about 59sportfury.net/59forum and I was cut off. Did you observe the poor performance I talked about?

you: Hello?

you: are you there?

you: performance is remarkably snappy right now -- did you do something? I haven't seen it like this in weeks.

Viktor Kulikov: Hello, I am sorry for delay

Viktor Kulikov: Which database does your site use?

you: MySQL

Viktor Kulikov: I see mysql server is up and running fast right now

you: yes -- it is behaving OK, but not when I started this conversation

you: do you have a way of monitoring queries, and how long they take to fulfill, for all the database instances on your server? I'd like to know who's killing performance

Viktor Kulikov: I think there was just some short-time problem or timeout on the web server and our admins have fixed it quickly.

you: the problem is chronic

Viktor Kulikov: I think that because of shared database server environment. You know there are not only your database on the server but also there are many databases of other people as well. So it may cause overloads sometimes.

you: it has been here ever since I moved from the old insecure control panel to the new one. The server I am on is overloaded; not sometimes, but chronically

you: do you have a way of monitoring queries?

Viktor Kulikov: It is something that our admins only have

you: you should have some way to know, what percentage of queries take a long time to fulfill -- and decide based on that how many instances you can support on a single server

you: if the problem persists -- and ix does not move my db to another, less loaded server, I will subscribe with someone else

you: There. I just did another query. 19 seconds. NINETEEN! Who will stay with a provider that provides such abysmal performance?

you: I would like to have my MyQSL database moved. The performance on my web server is OK; it is the database server. What will it take to get it moved? I am formally requesting this.

you: Hello? No reply?

Viktor Kulikov: I am sorry for delay

Viktor Kulikov: You may place a ticket to our admins with such request

you: OK. I've got an open ticket. I will add this conversation to the request.

you: Goodbye
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Re: poor forum performance

Post by Matthew Keij »

What a conversation! Amazingly bad from the guy.

I must say that the forum is actually really slow lately, also getting a lot of general errors.
Hope it will be fixed soon!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hmm, I thought it was a prblem on MY end. I have noticed the slowdown.
One could almost imagine Viktor turning to his boss to ask "what should I tell this guy?"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The database server performance is abysmal. My appeals have gone unanswered. But -- it turns out my annual agreement is up. I'm already in discussions with another ISP, the top-rated provider by Web Hosting Geeks:

http://webhostinggeeks.com

The vendor is InMotion -- they will transfer the site, then I have to set up the database, restore the mailing list, move the domain names, etc.

It's a pain in the butt. But I've given up on this vendor -- this is the end for these guys.

I hope there will be minimal disruption to everyone -- stay tuned.

Dan
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Dan it seems you have to spend an inordinate amount to you time with web site problems. I know you've alsoturnedus down when we offered to pass the hat. But is it something you could solve by using Mopar vs GM website?? I'm positive most of us would be willing to chip in! Anyway thanks for all your efforts!! If its something lawyers, gun or money would help with please let us know. Steve
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Steve Storey wrote:Dan it seems you have to spend an inordinate amount to you time with web site problems. I know you've alsoturnedus down when we offered to pass the hat. But is it something you could solve by using Mopar vs GM website?? I'm positive most of us would be willing to chip in! Anyway thanks for all your efforts!! If its something lawyers, gun or money would help with please let us know. Steve
Thanks, Steve -- but it's really not necessary for me to pass the hat. To be honest -- the old website cost me $180 a year. The new one costs me $120! It's not about the money; it costs very little money at all.

It's the time I've spent in trying to get the services we deserve, from a bunch of bureaucrats who couldn't care less. Well; perhaps they will start to care, once business is lost. And that is what is happening. I see many complaints on the web about the company I am dealing with, and now it is time to change.

"No one changes until the pain of not changing, becomes greater than the pain of changing." That's where I am right now. It's going to be painful to make this change, but less painful in the long run. I regret how everyone has been affected, but I'm taking steps to make it right. Hang in there! Help is on the way.

Dan