Free member accounts!

All the news here about the website, the membership, announcements, and the very latest from 1959!
Faulkner

Free member accounts!

Post by Faulkner »

Folks,

I've added a subdomain to our web -- members.59sportfury.net. I'm offering to each '59 Plymouth owner a free account with 25MB of space (honor system for now); perhaps more, if my quota doesn't get blown out. Here's what you do:

1) Send me a private email, requesting an account with the username you want, and password.

2) I'll confirm privately that the account has been established.

3) Transfer your pictures to your directory via ftp (more details about how to do this later).

4) If you want to include a picture from your directory to a post in the forum, use the "Img" button to reference it, e.g.,

Here is a picture of my car:
[ img]http://members.59sportfury.net/dan/mypic.jpg[/img]

The picture should be no bigger than 650 pixels wide to avoid making the viewer scroll the forum window horizontally. If you don't have a good image manipulation program, Microsoft Paint will do (email me for the details). If you want to link to a bigger picture, do it this way using the "URL" button:

Here is a picture of my car:
[ url]http://members.59sportfury.net/dan/mypic.jpg[/url]

5) The computer savvy reader will recognize, you will be able to store more than pictures in your directory! If you want to create your own web page, you can do that too. As long as you don't blow out my quota! Exceptions to the 25MB rule will be considered based on the volume of requests, and available space.

More about ftp later!

Dan
Faulkner

FTP'ing your files

Post by Faulkner »

There are several good programs for transferring files (FTP -- File Transfer Protocol). But you can even use Internet Explorer to transfer files. Here's how:

1) Point your browser to your directory with ftp --

ftp://members.59sportfury.net

2) You will be prompted for your username and password.

3) After you authenticate, the files in your directory will be displayed as icons, just as if you were browsing a folder on your computer.

4) Open the folder locally on your computer containing the files you want to upload, and drag and drop them to the browser window.

That's all there is to it! You can drag and drop in both directions -- it copies to the target, but does not remove from the source. You can also delete files from your ftp directory, by clicking on them once and pressing the Delete key. You will be asked to confirm, and once you do the file will be gone.

I ask that, if you embed (with Img) or link (with URL) a picture into a forum post, that you not delete it. That way, old posts will remain relevant for people who wish to browse them.

If there is enough interest in member web pages, I'll create another link to them on the main page. But by all means, I'm happy to post any and all pix in the Showcase for those who want. I may do that anyway from stuff people post in their member pages! (Of course, with their permission.)

Hope this proves to be useful to folk.

Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Great work Dan!! I will mail you about this for one. I need to mail you or PM you?? I will read everything today but first i have to deliver some papers :( Damn work
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

Matthew Keij wrote:but first i have to deliver some papers :( Damn work
Work sucks huh! :lol:
Cody C.
The prowd owner of a 1959 Iceberg White Sport Fury 318 TqFlt.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Yeah, works sucks but i have a little bit good work. I'm on my bike with music on and now it's good weather. That's the only good thing about it. Oh well, it gives me money
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”