We're Moving!

All the news here about the website, the membership, announcements, and the very latest from 1959!
Faulkner

We're Moving!

Post by Faulkner »

My service provider has acknowleged that their faulty software is responsible for repetitive hacks. (If you examine the source on this webpage, you'll detect that the website has been hacked-yet-again :oops: :roll: :cry: ). But help is on the way...

They've set me up with a new server, and I'll be uploading the content (stored on my home computer, unmolested) to the new site. After I've confirmed that it's all working -- it will take a week or so -- I'll reregister http://www.59plymouth.net and 59sportfury.net at the new address.

It will take some time for the new registration to propagate world-wide -- 36 hours or so -- but when your provider gets the new registration, you'll automatically be pointed to the new server. So, nothing for you to do; except, perhaps, relogin. I'll know more in days to come, and will keep you posted.

Sorry for your inconvenience. SORRY FOR MY INCONVENIENCE, IXWEBHOSTING!! But I'll be glad to finally put this behind me.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: We're Moving!

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dan, The server move must cost you some money, I have no problem in sending you some dollars to offset some of your costs. And I am sure others would want to help too! You have bared the cost to long by yourself, Let us help occasionally!
John Quinn
Denver 59 Fin Convert
Arvada, Colo
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Funny you should mention that, John; just this weekend I received an unsolicited check from Tom Fox for just such a thing. But as I explained to Tom, I can't keep it -- this is a labor of love. My life has been so enriched by the friendships I have forged through this website, it just wouldn't be right for me to accept. (Now, if you can find a way to kill spammers for me, let me know :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) And folks like Tom, and Roger, and Ron, and countless others who have been so generous with their advice (and including their parts!) have given much more than I have.

So thank you for the kind thoughts! It means a lot to me, and I do indeed feel appreciated.

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Oh, and by the way -- the server move isn't costing me anything but time; they are obliged to support the effort, since I subscribe yearly, and they are at fault.

But thanks!

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

It DOES seem like you finally got some 'satisfaction' from the host dudes.For all you've put up with and all.......usually I hate moving, but this one should be a good one.
(I didn't reieve notice of this post..I just stumbled across it this am.)
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:They've set me up with a new server, and I'll be uploading the content (stored on my home computer, unmolested) to the new site. After I've confirmed that it's all working -- it will take a week or so -- I'll reregister http://www.59plymouth.net and 59sportfury.net at the new address.

It will take some time for the new registration to propagate world-wide -- 36 hours or so -- but when your provider gets the new registration, you'll automatically be pointed to the new server. So, nothing for you to do; except, perhaps, relogin. I'll know more in days to come, and will keep you posted.
I'll be changing the forum to the new server tonight, folks (East Coast US). Any posts that occur after I take tonight's database snapshot, will not appear on the new server -- just so you know.

http://www.59sportfury.net and http://www.59plymouth.net will still be the names of the website, just the physical address will change. Your computer shouldn't know the difference -- when it asks your internet service provider where http://www.59plymouth.net lives, it will now give your computer a new address, and it will go to the same content, just at a different location. It will take 24-48 hours after I make the change, though, for your service provider to be notified. And while I don't expect any wrinkles, there could be a snag or two along the way. Sorry for any inconvenience, and I'll see you on the other side :D

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Seems to be OK -- sorry I forgot to remove the old "we're down" page. Looks like we came through fine, although I did have to log back in again (you probably will too). Please let me know of any and all problems, not just in the forum, but elsewhere on the website. I still have to put all the guestbook entries back in, and fix some other little things -- but all in all, I think we're in pretty good shape.

Thanks for bearing with me...

Dan
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Dan,

It looks okay to me. I did need to sign back in again.
Thanks for your persistance wth the host company, hopefully the site will be better protected from the hackers.

Thanks,
Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:Seems to be OK -- sorry I forgot to remove the old "we're down" page. Looks like we came through fine, although I did have to log back in again (you probably will too). Please let me know of any and all problems, not just in the forum, but elsewhere on the website. I still have to put all the guestbook entries back in, and fix some other little things -- but all in all, I think we're in pretty good shape.

Thanks for bearing with me...

Dan
Grrrr!!! Just found out, after re-establishing the mailing list -- all of the old content from the mailing list got deleted.

I had hoped one day to put a web front end on the email archive, so folks could search it; there was lots of good stuff in there about paint, ballast resistors, brake shoes, etc. And my service provider should have moved it when they moved the website. Instead, they just... deleted it. :evil: :evil: :evil:

It turns out I saved most every post that people made to the mailing list, but I don't think there's an easy way to get them loaded. So, I guess that's just another thing I'll have to save for doing on a rainy day...

(*sigh*).

Dan
Faulkner

scrambled images

Post by Faulkner »

Folks,

An astute Tom Fox observed that some of the more recent images had "tears" in them when you viewed them. Here's why...

In the old forum software, files preserved their names, e.g., my_59.jpg, with maybe a number tagged onto the end to keep it from overwriting someone else's file with the same name; e.g., my_59_3.jpg.

In the new forum software, when files are uploaded, they are assigned a unique name -- e.g., 4_68157716053d7fbfa3cd9fa68a227abb. This name lacks the ".jpg" on the end.

Some files are text files, and some are binary. All .jpg image files are binary. When I used a file transfer program called "Filezilla" to move the files from the old site to the new, Filezilla automatically recognized that the .jpg files should be transferred in binary mode. But when the file has no tag on the end, it gets confused -- sometimes it transfers it as binary, but sometimes as text! And the images that were scrambled, were transferred in text mode.

I've since transferred them again, and they seem to present correctly. Let me know if you find any more problems.

Thanks, Tom!

Dan
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

I must say I was not having any problems and did not see what Tom saw, but I was lost in the explanation. But that is okay because I am certain that others more computer savvy will understand.

On a positive note, I have not had to log-in for two consecutive days now - so that problem appears fixed.

Thanks Dan,

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

savvy59 wrote:On a positive note, I have not had to log-in for two consecutive days now - so that problem appears fixed.
Oh yeah -- fixed that too 8)

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Well, the old posts are lost. Just like our 401-K's.
So, whats old is new again. Kinda like getting old (arent we all) Everyday can be a new day.
Start posting again everybody...lets re-fill the memory banks.
Hi, my name is Roger, and it took 10 years for me to (mostly) construct my Sport Fury cvt., by blending a SF hardtop with a Belv cvt. I have a pile of average condition, used parts I'd like to sell/trade, however I don't think there is much demand for heater fan motors or power brake booster cannisters...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:Well, the old posts are lost. Just like our 401-K's.
Well, you're right about the 401-K's, Roger. :evil: But no posts have been lost from the Forum; just the 59Plymouth Mailing List.

...But it turns out, they're not lost! They did send them to me in a "tarball" (tar = tape archive) file. Now, I'm trying to get them to put them back in place on the mail server... Then, I'll install a little webcode that will allow folks to search the old emails when they remember, "I think Ed Eckerson once asked about my problem... I wonder what folks recommended?" And, like that.

Dan
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Hi Dan,

I still have a problem with staying logged in :evil: When I do log in I can stay logged in until I go to another website but when I go back to the forum I have to log in again. I deleted all cookies manually yesterday and today I deleted the board cookies through the link at the bottom of the index page. I do like this forum and try to read the new posts at least twice a day (yes it is an addiction) and this weekend I want to post a lot of pictures (we started taking the car apart) so I'd like to stay logged in. Seems like I am the only one having trouble with it now.

Hope somebody knows the answer!

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...