Carlisle 2008

All the news here about the website, the membership, announcements, and the very latest from 1959!
Dick Koch

Plastic Forks.

Post by Dick Koch »

Plastic forks, what plastic forks, I missed that one, please enlighten us, sounds like something I might need.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner is a "driver", Dick -- en route to Carlisle '06, with one headliner panel falling on his head, Roger hooked up an ingenious method for keeping it up with plastic forks. I forget now, if the forks were from potato salad or cole slaw... :P

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

OH, OK, Greenie has one of its panel that will not reach the "groove" in the front to back runner. I clear coated some single edge razor blades and they hold it up just fine.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Carlisle time is getting close!

I have a room for Friday and Saturday night @ Dan's hotel that I cannot use:

Best Western Plantation Inn
381 Cumberland Pkwy
Mechanicsburg , Pennsylvania
17055-5673,United States
Phone: 7177660238
Fax : 7176979329

It has the following:

Check-in: July 11, 2008; 1:00 P.M.
Check-out: July 13, 2008; 11:00 A.M.

Guests: 3
Rate: AAA Rate

Room Details: Two Double Beds, No Smoking, Hairdryer, Coffee Maker, Iron And Ironing Board, Dataport Phone, Continental Breakfast

Room Rate Subtotal:
$135.00 USD
Policies:

Deposit Policy: Guaranteed to your credit card for late arrival

Cancellation Policy: Cancel before 4PM hotel time on July 11, 2008 to avoid a charge

Guarantee Policy: Reservation has been guaranteed

Child Policy: Children 12 And Under Are Free In Room With One Paying Adult In Existing Bedding.

Reservation Amount
Reservation Amount: $135.00 *Estimated Taxes & Fees Breakdown: Tax 8% - $10.80;
Estimated Taxes & Fees: $10.80* (Taxes & Fees are estimated at the time of booking, and may be different at the time of stay.)
Total Stay: $145.80 USD

If anyone is interested please e-mail me @ savvy59@yahoo.com

I plan to release this room soon if no 59 Plymouth members can use this room. This is about the cheapest rate you can find for a hotel during Chryslers at Carlisle, I sure hope someone can use this room.

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Faulkner

Re: Carlisle 2008

Post by Faulkner »

Ron sent me this link on the Forward Look, about a special event at the Cumberland Drive-In during Carlisle. I've commented, with a link to the Drive-in's webpage...

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forum ... ?tid=20663

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I heard from Ron and Marjo this afternoon -- they're in the States, embarking on a vacation in the West before they fly back to Philly for a visit. Of course, by the time they get here, Matthew and Andre will have already arrived. After a few days of here and there, it's off to Carlisle! Looking forward to meeting Curt and his family -- and Tom Fox will be back at Carlisle this year, this time in his Belvedere convertible. Can't wait to see that!

I'm waiting to hear from Joe Leone, Mark Coudrieut, and Dave Wilson -- hoping they can all bring their '59 Plymouths again this year.

Dan
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Just a reminder - If Joe, Mark or Dave need a room at Dan's Hotel - Mine is still available - see above post.

I need to cut this room loose soon so I am not charged.

Glad to hear that Ron and Marjo arrived safely in the States. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Curt
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Just admiring the gas prices in your avatar, Curt...

(*sigh.*)

Dan
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

savvy59 wrote:Just a reminder - If Joe, Mark or Dave need a room at Dan's Hotel - Mine is still available - see above post.

I need to cut this room loose soon so I am not charged.

Glad to hear that Ron and Marjo arrived safely in the States. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Curt

Just an update to say that I have cancelled this reservation at Best Western so I am not charged. I will still be staying in Mechanicsburg - just a few miles away at the Econo-Lodge at Gettysburg Road (Rt 15) I hope it is not a dive!!!

I still need some guidance however.

I probably won't make it to Carlisle Friday until 4 or 5 PM - will anybody still be there that late in the day?

What time does everyone show up in the morning on Saturday and Sunday?

If I need to leave Mid-Day because of the heat - can I leave the 59 and come back later and retrieve it? I know that Carlisle frowns on leaving with you car during mid-day. I would also like to know that someone would be around the cars at all times if possible even If I am not on the field. Are there any other itenerary plans I should know about? I will have some constraints since I will have my 5-year-old daughter Grace with me, and my wife (Jo Ann ) and I am sure they will need some time at the hotel pool if things get too heated at the fairgrounds.

I registered the 59 at Carlisle on Tuesday and it said the price increased by $10 on Monday the 23rd. :x Luckily I registered early enough Tuesday that it still only charged me $40. :D So I am already to go - i Think.

Thanks for your help - time for an oil change and last minute fixes to exhaust etc today (I Hope)!

Curt
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

savvy59 wrote:I probably won't make it to Carlisle Friday until 4 or 5 PM - will anybody still be there that late in the day?
Fershur, Curt -- we'll still be there. We'll exchange cell phone numbers privately, so you can give us a heads up when you're getting close.
savvy59 wrote:What time does everyone show up in the morning on Saturday and Sunday?
We'll probably be there before 9 on Saturday -- provided we can get Matthew out of bed :lol: Last year we didn't return on Sunday, but we probably will this year.
savvy59 wrote:If I need to leave Mid-Day because of the heat - can I leave the 59 and come back later and retrieve it? I know that Carlisle frowns on leaving with you car during mid-day. I would also like to know that someone would be around the cars at all times if possible even If I am not on the field.
That's never a worry, Curt. We'll all be parked in proximity to one another, and we look after each other. I've never heard of any problems. And no official will know, nor care, that your car is there but you are not.
savvy59 wrote: Are there any other itenerary plans I should know about? I will have some constraints since I will have my 5-year-old daughter Grace with me, and my wife (Jo Ann ) and I am sure they will need some time at the hotel pool if things get too heated at the fairgrounds.
There's talk of going to a drive-in on Saturday for a viewing of "Christine". And some FL's go together as a group for dinner Friday night. On Saturday, Dave Stragand usually has a chicken dinner at the Forward Look tent, which is where a lot of folks hang out throughout the weekend.

Getting excited now!!

Dan
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Dan,

Thanks for the update. I will need you to introduce me to the Forward Look group as I have not visited that site for years. The 59 Plymouth site gives me all the information I need!!!

Exhaust got fixed yesterday for free :D (tailpipe Echo Can (3" x 30") was welded to bracket. Bad news was the shop was unable to lift my car it was too low to the ground :x . It looks like I will visit a Jiffy Lube since it has a pit and not a lift.

PS my exhaust is loudwith my 318 partly because of Brochman mufflers (straight through steel packs) but mostly because of the large echo cans at the rear of the exhaust. You may actually hear us before you ever see us when arriving at Carlisle! 8)

Thanks,

Curt
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

I heard from Ron and Marjo this afternoon -- they're in the States, embarking on a vacation in the West before they fly back to Philly for a visit. Of course, by the time they get here, Matthew and Andre will have already arrived.
And we are still in the States, currently we are in Sausalito just 5 minutes from the Golden Gate bridge. It has been a wonderfull first week except for all the smoke here :( I had plans to visit John Fowlie (Big M) but had to pass on that because of all the fires. Two days ago we drove highway 299 and we were stopped until the fire was "under control" , then we had to follow the pilot car to escape. We were actually driving over burning pieces of wood that fell down from the mountain. The car in front of us was hit by a big piece of burning wood (over a ft long :cry: ) and there were rocks falling all over the road. And the smoke was pretty bad, my eyes kept burning for hours. But when we arrived at the coast the air was clear and we finally got to see something of California! We had been to Yosemite and Death Valley but the smoke made it less beautiful than we had expected. No scenic views to be seen there.

Just one more week before we fly to Philly again and I am really looking forward to go to Carlisle!

See y'all soon,
Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The Dutch invasion is about to begin! Troops are amassing on the Belgian border, soon to arrive on the Philly shores.

(shores?!)

The western contingent is in the last days of their campaign, and will arrive a day later. It can only mean one thing:

Carlisle 2008!

Dan
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

savvy59 wrote:Dan,

Bad news was the shop was unable to lift my car it was too low to the ground :x . It looks like I will visit a Jiffy Lube since it has a pit and not a lift.

Curt
GOOD NEWS

Oil change was accoplished yeterday at Jiffy Lube.

BAD NEWS

We are having a hard time starting the car after it is hot. iT WOULD NOY START AT ALL AFTER SITTING 1 HOUR AFTER THE JIFFY LUBE VISIT. I hope we have a mechanic in the group that can diagnos this problem! I think the gas is boiling out of the carb. I do have a 1" spacer block (uninstalled) that I hope will solve the problem. Anybody have any other quick fixes in mind? I also need to run out the old fuel (1/2 tank) and filler up with high test $$$. Running out of time to get her ready for Carlisle! My wife and I have both had some medical problems these last two weeks that have put us really far behing in everything. Still planning to bring the car - even if we can't clean her up before the trip.

See everyone in a few days.

Curt

UPDATE
Car is at Midas now for a brake fluid leak somewhere - Jiffy Lube never bothered to check the level and the front sump was dry! We had to use starting fluid to get her started yesterday. I hope new gas will resolve this issue.

Curt
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

savvy59 wrote: Car is at Midas now for a brake fluid leak somewhere - Jiffy Lube never bothered to check the level and the front sump was dry! We had to use starting fluid to get her started yesterday. I hope new gas will resolve this issue.
Curt, after Faulkner's been sitting for a few days, I have to use starting fluid to get it restarted -- it seems gas leaks out of the bowl because of a bad accelerator pump. The other indicator for this (I'm told) is hesitation when stepping on the gas from a dead stop. I had the carb rebuilt last year, but I can believe this part is defective. Could you be suffering from the same malady, only in an exaggerated state (i.e., won't start after an hour)? Obviously you'll want to address it, but it may not be a severe problem if it runs fine once started.

Stopping is another matter altogether! Yes, find the source of that leak...

Dan