Mark Coudriet - Curwensville, PA, USA

Faulkner

Mark Coudriet - Curwensville, PA, USA

Post by Faulkner »

1.jpg

Mark writes, "My father and I just bought a 1959 Plymouth Fury 4dr sdn. What is so special about this is that my father's father -- Raymond Coudriet -- has a brother, Irvin Coudriet (who would be my dads uncle, my great-uncle) who is now 77 years young, ordered this car brand new at City Auto sales in Clearfield, PA. My Uncle Irvin was the service mechanic at City Auto sales, and special ordered this Fury in the fall of 1958. The car arrived in March of 1959. The car was delayed in shipping due to a glass strike going on in Detroit at that time. My uncle told me he tried to keep a close watch on this strike, due to his worries that the Plymouth would not get delivered on time. My uncle drove the Plymouth from 1959 until 1974. He put 84,000 miles on the car, and changed the oil every 1,000 miles. Each time he waxed the Fury, he took off all the side trim, emblems, headlights, etc. My uncle is a real clean fanatic. The car survived 15 PA winters without rust issues. Believe that!! He sold the Plymouth for $700 in 1974, with original paint and no rust to a local man. This man put about 8,000 miles on the car since that time. We bought back the Plymouth in the fall of 2005. The car had been in unheated storage for about 8 years. It will take some detailing here, and there, but the chrome and everything is very nice. The car is cleaning up like a 30,000 mile car. This winter the detailing of little parts is taking place, and the spring will be the time to take care of some larger jobs, but the car will be back on the road looking as it did in 1959. The best part is, we will get to have 3 generations of Coudriet's to go for a ride in here this summer. I can't wait for my great uncle to get behind the wheel again.
I just thought I would add that the 59 Fury has all its paperwork --such as original window sticker, 2 copies of the bill of lading from the shipper, both the interior and exterior IBM punch cards, build sheets from under front seat, hang tags with option codes from the firewall, customer waiting ordered car stickers from the windshield and other misc. decals that were on the windows when the car was delivered new. My uncle save all those things. The paperwork is really amazing!

My uncle sold the Fury in 1974 with 84,000 miles, and now it has 93,000. During the time of the second owner, it was repainted in the early 80's. The top is still the original paint, and the interior is all original. A bit soiled but nothing that stanley steamer cannot make look like brand new. My uncle kept finger hut seat covers on the seats the whole time he owned the car from new until 74. This I think really help keep the seats clean and rip or tear free. The tires are the B.F. Goodrich my uncle put on in 1965. They are in need of replacement soon. A new set of Goodyear Super Cushions from Lucus are in the works. Under the hood needs a good cleaning and detailing. All in all it just need some tlc. At least no rust or pitted chrome. It's great to have it back in the Family!"

2.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"