Even before Ed bought the '59 Sport Fury he knew he would come to own - he rebuilt the Golden Commando he intended to place in it. This topic is documentation of Ed's meticulous craftmanship in accomplishing his goal.
The engine is a natural 'ML 361'. As far as I can tell, other than a valve job it was never apart. Being totally anal about this project I thought I would concentrate on the power train before actually getting a vehicle.
After a complete tear down and inspection I was so pleased to find everything standard size along with brackets and looms I never thought existed. I have acquired most of the new engine internals for the rebuild and have started 'preparing' the externals to go back together. It will be totally factory stock -- with factory plymouth golden commando colors -- along with the dual quad option. The only thing I am taking liberty with is the color of the bolt heads. There was just too much red on this engine!
I am pleased to say, that it will go back together with standard size main and rod bearings -- she was that well preserved. I expect to have her together and ready to start or install by next summer. I am taking my time and enjoying every little operation. Next spring I'll work my way back as I purchase a cast iron water cooled torqueflite to play with just waiting for the right body to come along.
Yes -- the gold bolt heads are incorrect -- but it came out so good!
Bare block right after teardown
Yes - colors are correct.
The loom on the intake I THINK was used on dual quads
Finished items ready for final assembly!
My attic is now complete with the 2 manifolds -- I now have all parts! ...and ready to assemble. In my opinion, the most elusive part! It is totally rebuilt, stripped, coated, new heat riser, new pins, new stainless heat tube. This was a fun item to rebuild.
You have no idea how hard this was to locate. If I told you what I paid for it and how much the parts and coating were total -- I'd be embarrassed!
The Short block is complete and assembled! All clearances came out exactly to plan--she really came out nicely!! Rods and mains are standard size with .0015 clearance, pistons will supply a stock 10/1 comp ratio at .003 piston to wall clearance. The ring end gap is .012 with plasma molly rings, a bit snug, but it's stock and should allow for no blowby at all.
I was able to paint the tops of all of the casting marks and numbers, along with the engine ID. Not exactly stock, but that is poetic license. I also went a little nutty on the bolt heads, but poetic license also.
The heads and manifold are just held in place by a few bolts. I decided not to totally assemble it because of the weight involved in moving it sooner or later. The carbs will be rebuilt when I find a host -- I did not want fresh carbs to sit dry if things extend for a while. All of the accessories are put away as there is minimal room where I am keeping it and no sense of hanging everything just to take it off again.
Complete except for carb rebuild
What makes this side interesting: 1) ULTRA RARE exhaust manifold with heat tube 2) WHAT A B**CH, but choke heat tube from manifold is correctly routed 3) Coil mounting bracket MOST RARE of all items! 4) Nice correct little red boot on #1 plug wire
A close up of the detail work
Just a few recent pics of the 361 COMPLETE with rebuilt carbs and torqueflite --just waiting for 'BLACKIE' and FP31 in the background
This was a fun 1 year project---I did drag it out a bit but had fun with every bolt I turned.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"